Who’s working?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I am very lucky - I always did 2 at home, 3 in the office, so switched to 5 at home seamlessly.

Ditto this. Has saved me a fair few bob in petrol and mileage on the cars, certainly going to push for 3 days at home a week as we return to a "new norm". The company is not planning to return to the office before June at the earliest anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Read today that Twitter are allowing staff to permanently work from home "if their role permits" https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-twitter-to-allow-staff-to-work-from-home-forever-11987455

Seems a forward thinking stance especially with the option to go into the office if necessary. As the world of "norm" is never going to be the same how workable is this going to be for a host of other firms going forward or do you think given of Twitter's business it's more geared for this sort of working

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Read today that Twitter are allowing staff to permanently work from home "if their role permits" https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-twitter-to-allow-staff-to-work-from-home-forever-11987455

Seems a forward thinking stance especially with the option to go into the office if necessary. As the world of "norm" is never going to be the same how workable is this going to be for a host of other firms going forward or do you think given of Twitter's business it's more geared for this sort of working

This is a subject that really interests me and I really want to see the world change a bit.

International travel is off the cards ATM but I'd love to see business travel scaled back. So you don't get the flying to another country to seal a deal that could be done over the phone, email, zoom just because "it's how it's done"

I would like to see people enabled to work from home more flexible.. say 2 days a week.. firms could have smaller office spaces (or the same size of social distance is needed) and have people working different days.

This split could help with traffic and public transport aswell

I know tfl is needing a bail out ATM due to covid 19 to be able to run the tube (check this article for some really interesting information on the subject, didn't know a lot of that) https://www.londonreconnections.com...ble-finances-of-fighting-a-pandemic/#comments

Anyways if less people had to use the network then projects could be scaled back to save a lot of money. Over crowding would reduce and things could help everyone.

Also as a massive plus to this people's mental health would improve and also our carbon foot print would shrink

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

This is a subject that really interests me and I really want to see the world change a bit.

International travel is off the cards ATM but I'd love to see business travel scaled back. So you don't get the flying to another country to seal a deal that could be done over the phone, email, zoom just because "it's how it's done"

I would like to see people enabled to work from home more flexible.. say 2 days a week.. firms could have smaller office spaces (or the same size of social distance is needed) and have people working different days.

This split could help with traffic and public transport aswell

I know tfl is needing a bail out ATM due to covid 19 to be able to run the tube (check this article for some really interesting information on the subject, didn't know a lot of that) https://www.londonreconnections.com...ble-finances-of-fighting-a-pandemic/#comments

Anyways if less people had to use the network then projects could be scaled back to save a lot of money. Over crowding would reduce and things could help everyone.

Also as a massive plus to this people's mental health would improve and also our carbon foot print would shrink

I’m quite surprised baby (new) companies like twitter even had large scale offices (particularly when their product is virtual anyway) Makes you wonder what they ever needed a full time large office for

On the flip side to cutting down on business travel/congestion etc I wonder how many forms of public transport actually rely on overcrowding to make ends meet (much like airlines oversell flights) So that any reduction in footfall will simply lead to a reduction in vehicle stock, staff, workshops etc

There’s also all the associated businesses that have been built up based on a certain level of commuter traffic, from coffee outlets to fast food to other retailers. These will also need to scale/close down

Getting 10 or 20% of the public to work from home (even part time) has many benefits (particularly environmental) so it’s something I’d support but few benefits to aid an economy, so a big adjustment would be needed plus a plan for the extra unemployed

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m quite surprised baby (new) companies like twitter even had large scale offices (particularly when their product is virtual anyway) Makes you wonder what they ever needed a full time large office for

On the flip side to cutting down on business travel/congestion etc I wonder how many forms of public transport actually rely on overcrowding to make ends meet (much like airlines oversell flights) So that any reduction in footfall will simply lead to a reduction in vehicle stock, staff, workshops etc

There’s also all the associated businesses that have been built up based on a certain level of commuter traffic, from coffee outlets to fast food to other retailers. These will also need to scale/close down

Getting 10 or 20% of the public to work from home (even part time) has many benefits (particularly environmental) so it’s something I’d support but few benefits to aid an economy, so a big adjustment would be needed plus a plan for the extra unemployed

Whilst a lot of our income is from fares without the footfall we could scale back projects massively which would save enough money to run what we need

I'm hoping nightube never returns from this. One of Boris worst decisions as mayor was that

Zero extra revenue as people already have travel cards etc.. it's suppose to help boost the economy but people bearly use it

Bin it off. Save millions. Move on

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our company has not put anyone on Furlough. Our company covers lots of different industries. Mine (Life Science) has continued to be busy and I'm busy every day.
I would normally be travelling on business every week and working away from home 2-3 times a month. I can't do that at the moment which is causing us some issues but we are getting by. I normally work from home anyway so for me it's business as usual apart from the travelling.