Which of these three courses to play : Royal St. David's, Pwllheli or Abersoch

Kennysarmy

Visit site
We'll be making our annual family pilgrimage to the Llyn Peninsula in April, last year I played Nefyn so looking for somewhere different this year.

The three logical choices are Royal St. David's, Pwllheli or Abersoch as I don't want to be driving too far from our base a few miles north of Nefyn.

Has anyone played any of the three and can give me a recommendation?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Echo duckster’s comments RSD is a nice course even though I struggled on some of the long par 3’s

Porthmadog is a great course, front 9 is parkland but when you cross the road to play the back 9 wow. It is one of the nicest links back 9 around and the views are amazing!

D

Deleted member 21258

RSD - love this course and joined it as a result. Quite a number of long par 4s, offset with two short par 5s and if you are luckily enough to have made a score on the front nine, then hang on tight on the back nine as its tough. Only once shot my handicap there. 15th hole is brilliant.

Portmadog - Front nine & 18th parkland, hmm didn't do a lot for me, couple of nice holes in there. But when you cross back across the road to play some of the linkys holes(must be 7ish holes there?) they are great and the one round the bay is brilliant fun, hit a couple off the teeS, once you see the hole you will know why:) And the views are brilliant on this part of the course.

Aberdovey - Nice enough course, very friendly, but didn't blow me away, a lot of the holes are fairly straight and not really much trouble off the tee to get me thinking on the tee shot. Couple of great holes in the mix tho the driveableish par 4 16th(or was it the 17th?) and par 3 12th(I think).

D

Deleted member 23270

I would go with Porthmadog, I was very underwhelmed with RSD. There is more to a golf course than the backdrop and it has few good holes until the very end.

dronfield

Visit site
RSD, Conwy and Aberdovey would be my 3 - imo Aberdovey feels the toughest if played in wind/rain.

Not a massive fan of Nefyn other than for the views.

Rich

HairyBullet

Visit site
Played Pwllheli a few times and its very nice but beware if theres a wind blowing along the coastal holes ( 8,9,10,11 if I remember correctly)
Portmadog another good course and very tough if its blowing a hooly

D

Deleted member 21258

I would go with Porthmadog, I was very underwhelmed with RSD. There is more to a golf course than the backdrop and it has few good holes until the very end.

RSD has too many "ordinary" holes, but the good ones are very good and the setting is wonderful.
I prefered Aberdovy!

Boo Hiss, you are both wrong :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, RSD is a far better layout and overall a better test of golf than portmadog and aberdovey and you get the backdrop of a castle to look at with RSD :p

Only joking, everyone has their own opinions:)

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - food for though....

I am leaning towards RSD and having looked at Porthmadog - that might be my second choice...

D

Deleted member 21258

Great idea but I'm one week to early for the first one :(

Its possible I could sign you in as a guest, if interested PM me closer to the date and will be able to confirm if I am around.

Lovely area to go on holiday to.