Which GPS ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had a Sky Caddie Aire 2 for a number of years unfortunately it is now losing it's charge before I complete a round (yesterday after 2hours 20 minutes) so I need to get another.
I use it attached to my bag by a Carabiner.
I like the easy to read large numbers with distance to middle front and back of greens.
I occasionally miss not having distances to hazards.
However I do not want anything that is fiddly or requires you to push buttons or touch screen to much.
It must be attachable to a golf bag, I don't want a watch device.
It must be easy to read in bright sun, I can't read my phone outdoors.
Any suggestions please?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Contact SkyGolf and have a word with them. They might be able to supply a new battery, or trade in your existing device against the cost of a reconditioned one.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I can only really recommend Garmin as it’s all I’ve used. I’ve got the S60 now and really wouldn’t be without it. I love the idea of the new S62 with heart rate but after 2 years with the S60 there’s nothing wrong with it. Battery is still good for 2 rounds and when not in GPS mode will last over a week on a single charge. There’s an option in the settings for big numbers too

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you looked at any of the free apps available on your phone? The motocaddy one is excellent.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Contact SkyGolf and have a word with them. They might be able to supply a new battery, or trade in your existing device against the cost of a reconditioned one.
This is a good call. Nothing ventured and if you can get a trade in or a fix then happy days. If not then if you don't want anything too fiddly I'd stick to the Sky Caddie and look at sky caddie SX400/500

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. I've contacted Sky golf who have basically said no deal.
Phone app is a no go because I can't read my phone outdoors.
Will look at the other suggestions.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Serious question, what does a garmin/sky caddie etc give you over some of the excellent free apps?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
For me it's a screen problem, I can't read my phone in the bright sun.
I've recently bought a Bushnell Phantom, basic GPS, give yardages to front,middle & back of greens and to hazards. Easy read monochrome display, only £85. Battery lasts about 3 rounds. Only downside I can see is a magnetic clip which looks like it could come off my trolley without me noticing.