When is a personal best not a personal best?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shot my personal best round today (kinda).... shot 77 but we are off mats just now so although kicked some shots into the semi and the course tees were setup probably totalling 200-300 yards shorter not sure I can count it as a PB. Previously had a 78 in a bounce game off medal tees so would say that’s my PB though in competition best is 81.

Thoughts? Any others discount PBs from their home track due to factors such as above?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd be inclined to differentiate between the 3 different setups that you have mentioned - mats, bounce and competition. But only because 'conditions' are likely to be significantly different. It's that 'significant' that matters but only your opinion matters - to you!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
In my honest opinion, i never count winter scores as proper scores. For instance I shot 10 under gross round a course in March but there were 2 forward tees, i still say my personal best is 7 under which is the score I've shot off the back tees in competition

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my honest opinion, i never count winter scores as proper scores. For instance I shot 10 under gross round a course in March but there were 2 forward tees, i still say my personal best is 7 under which is the score I've shot off the back tees in competition
7 under gross . Crikey thats brilliant . Shot -3 off society tees once .

Like yourself tho I dont count winter scores with placing everywher etc . Have never played off mats so done even know what thats like

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
7 under gross . Crikey thats brilliant . Shot -3 off society tees once .

Like yourself tho I dont count winter scores with placing everywher etc . Have never played off mats so done even know what thats like
Yeah it's not bad I usually have 3 or 4 lowish ones like that a season, would like to get into double figures but it has to be off the back sticks for me to mentally not have any doubts about the score, winter scores arnt the same with softer conditions, preferred lies etc

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For me, my best score has to be off the stones, (very back tees, at my course have a stone, with the hole details on a plaque). Nothing else is the real deal.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't even know what my PB is at my home club, but I would do as similarly suggested above. "Main" PB being standard rules, and then either ignoring or looking seperately for different course conditions.

I do however know my competition PB, which is a far cry away from my social PB, and thus not worth worrying about.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a PB. For me it has to be off the full course. I do keep stats and so have a PB for the yellow tees, winter whites with pick and place and competitions under normal conditions

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used differentiate between a PB in friendly play and a PB in competition.

I do not have to worry at the moment because my PB was 3 under gross in a comp a few years ago and I my game is nowhere that standard these days.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a PB. For me it has to be off the full course. I do keep stats and so have a PB for the yellow tees, winter whites with pick and place and competitions under normal conditions

For me it would be the use of mats/playing from rough more than the course length, that would mean I wouldn't count it as a PB (although if you do have a very short course I can see why the 'back' tees might come into it)

Still, well played to OP

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A personal best is from the Tee's you played that day.

You can have a best score from both white and yellow or blue or black or whatever you play.

However a PB with a mat, perfect lie every time. Negative for me. Just take the positive from the performance band ball striking.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done - very good golf regardless of whether you count it as a PB or not.

I have two PBs; my competitive PB (81 - my old course at max distance, greens ironed etc), and my all conditions PB (79 at the new course in St. Andrews).

I’ve been under 80 a few times on other courses, but generally slightly shorter ones with lower pars so haven’t counted them as a PB. I count the 79 at the new course because I can hand on heart say it’s my best ever round. It wasn’t competition conditions but that doesn’t matter, I know how well I played.

So maybe judge it like that? How well did you play for your 77? Is it worthy of being called your PB?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I only count it if there is no clean and place.

For a good while my winter clean and place was a shot better than my summer score. Beat it at home by a shot this year.

Personal best at any course is 1under. My old course in liverpool. Done level at another but no better than 2 over at home in derry.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldn't really count a score that was off mats or forward tee's myself. all my memorable scores are off the white /back tee;s on any course i played.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Good score Stuart. I would say, as above, that you treat the two as separate. There are too many variables to really count it as your personal best. I would only count it if it was played in normal conditions.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to count personal best as being how many over par I was rather than the total itself. Because one of the courses I play is only a par 65, my home course is 68 and some of the others are 70, so getting an 83 on one course wouldn't be the same as 83 on another, for example.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. Yeah I think I’ll discount it but happy to be scoring. Wish the season was just starting have been playing so much better than the garbage at the start of the year.

The stork arriving soon won’t help!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Shot my personal best round today (kinda).... shot 77 but we are off mats just now so although kicked some shots into the semi and the course tees were setup probably totalling 200-300 yards shorter not sure I can count it as a PB. Previously had a 78 in a bounce game off medal tees so would say that’s my PB though in competition best is 81.

Thoughts? Any others discount PBs from their home track due to factors such as above?

Having also played at East Ren yesterday, I imagine your 78 of the back tees was a far better round, golf wise, likewise your 81 in a competition.

The course was in great nick, but very little rough. Flags mostly in central positions on greens and obviously short tees.

I think you can have 3 categories of PB;
* best competition round
* best bounce game
* best winter score (assuming big greens).

D

Deleted member 1147

You can call anything a PB as long as you qualify it:

My best off the whites is 72 at my current club (71 at my old club - but both were level par)

My best off the yellows is 71

My best in matchplay (with gimmies) is ...

My best in an AM-AM is 70, 2 under par.

But to me the only one that really counts is my lowest according to par, playing off the back tees. So my best is level par.