When did you have your first lesson?

Hopey84

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster here.

I was just wondering at what handicap did you have your first lesson and did it make much difference?

I have been toying with the idea of a course of lessons for a while now, mainly because of all the people on this forum saying that it is the best way of improving.

I have been playing since October 2011 and joined my first club in March 2012, I was going around in about 115 at first then broke 100 after about 2 months then broke 90 after about 8 months and have done it about 9 times since, my handicap has come down from 26 to 20 in my first season and I am now regularly shooting low 90s with the occasional bad round near the 100 mark. My best round in a competition was 91.

I just can’t help thinking that I’m never going to be a pro so are lessons really necessary, I have got Tom Watson DVD that covers pretty much everything and a Phil Mickelson DVD that is a more detailed guide to the short game.

The two teaching pros at my club have got very good reputations, John Harrison is a European seniors tour player and his assistant pro JJ Vallely is also supposed to be very good.

I have also heard a few horror stories of people having lessons and completely losing any ability they had which is probably the main reason I haven’t already had a lesson.

What do you all think?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the fact that even the worlds best still go for lessons indicates that there is a benefit to be had by having them. If nothing else, a couple to check the basics like grip, alignment, posture and the swing itself will be able to confirm whether the bad shots were just that and a result of a bad swing or if they hide a flaw in technique. All about finding a pro you can trust and who can get the message across in a way you understand and enjoy

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
a short story....i always complain to my pro that the worst part of my game is off the tee. he said i was wrong. to prove it he give me a free playing lesson but with a difference. he had me walk down the fairway and place the ball in the best possible place to simulate a perfect drive. i done this on every hole (apart from par 3's). i played my second shots from where i placed the ball. i still finished my round 12 over par (off 15 hcp) this opened my eyes as to how importaint short game is.

what i'm saying is ''dont under estimate the POWER off the short game'' fasted way to lower your handicap.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
I started playing during the summer and to a degree was able to get round a course.

I initially thought I wouldnt need lessons and just slowly improve but I had a change of heart over Christmas. Had my 1st lesson last week and it was great. The pro fixed my grip and has me standing a lot taller at address. Go back on Saturday for another lesson.

D

deanobillquay

John Harrison is well recommended, a mate of a mate plays off 2 and goes to him for the odd lesson.

Hs 2nd choice is Gordon Morrison at linden hall - I've had one lesson off him and was well impressed. Looking forward to the next 4 I've got booked.

He also lectures in psychology and is very much into this side of the game.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I started 22 years ago and also went round in 140+ a lot. It took me 19 years to get down to 9, self taught, plus bits of advice.I got stuck on 9 for about 3 years.

I had lessons last year and went up to 10 for a week or so after the lessons,but finished 2012 on 6.

Get lessons as early as possible, IMHO.

Hopey84

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for the advice everyone.

Hovis I couldn't agree more about the short game, I don't practice much as I would rather play but when I do practice it's always the short game.

Do any of you know anyone that's had a bad experience having lessons?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got my handicap of 34 last March, I got it down to 19 by September, then I booked lessons which have been a great help, I am optimistic for a decent drop in handicap agian this year.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my only bit of advice is once you have a lesson make sure at the end of it you properly know your practice drills and stick at them. Do not be tempted to go back to the old swing during a round if the new changes are not working.

I did this and wasted about 4 lessons. Decided I am not having anymore until the lighter nights are here as I know I wont practise enough negating anything from lesson/s

good luck :thup:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've been playing for twenty plus years, and got down to 9 having never had a lesson.

A year ago, I figured that was it, I wasn't going to get any better without fixing my swing. I have a reasonable short game, I can putt, but my iron play was shocking.

So I started having lessons. I can't say it has been easy, or fun. After nine months of it, I was pretty depressed about the whole issue. Loads of friends at the club were querying why I had bothered, as they couldn't see what was wrong in the first place.

Well, it has taken a year, but I am finally happy with my swing. I'm striking the ball much better, my driving is straighter, my iron play is way better, and if this flipping snow ever melts, I'm ready to play proper golf this year. Hopefully it's pay back time.

Worth it? Time will tell.

JPH

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I only started playing last year April timeish , had five mornings worth of lessons before i even stepped foot on a golf course

Wanted to get the fundamentals right at the beginning so I wouldn't have to relearn them all later because I self taught

Stood me in good stead so far

tomWatsons DVD also helped :)

JPH

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I got my handicap of 34 last March, I got it down to 19 by September, then I booked lessons which have been a great help, I am optimistic for a decent drop in handicap agian this year.

That's really good going , I have high hopes for myself this year also , good lluck

steveh

Club Champion
Visit site
I started with lessons as soon as I took up the game in mid 2011. It helped me with the basic technique and I think semi-regular lessons would help but only if I had the time to practice (which I don't). At the moment I can play about once a fortnight, with no practice time at all.

So I'd say go for the lessons but only if you've got the time and inclination to practice.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never had a lesson before.

When fit and given the all-clear to play again, I've decided to begin back with lessons.

I haven' decided whether to go straight for lessons or blow some dust off my swing then go for lessons.

I'll decide nearer the time.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had played one or two rounds a year for about ten years, i was a genuine 28 hacker with a small degree of natural ability, so could knock round in the high 90's. Got into the game seriously late 2011, Xmas was good that year and got a whole host of new shineys!

In Feb 2012 I booked a course of 6 lessons, playing lesson etc etc.. While not an official handicap, my 28 went to 18 in six months. I had one lesson a month and worked on what i had learned, i had a new grip, new stance, improved posture and a new swing! I just need to play more now, i can play 9 holes out of 18 like a 10 handicapper, and the other 9 like a 28'r hence my 18 handicap!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two weeks ago , and im kinda sorry i did , i know, i know , ....it takes a while trying new things , but by golly im struggling with it ..

frustrated.com:(