Whats your dream day job?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My mum use to work near Fleet Street in the halcyon days when being a journalist at a big daily paper still meant something good. I always use to wonder exactly what went on behind the walls and I definitely wanted to be a journo for a long while. In the end my skills were limited and I didn't have the academic nous or the inclination to study A levels and beyond so the NCTJ seemed a long way off

I agree about magazines and being set up by those in love with the topic. I was a big fan of the football fanzines when they exploded onto the scene and put a few pieces in for my local teams which was good. Not sure i'd like to be a newspaper journo these days. At local rag level it seems a lot of hard work for little return and village fetes, and other small fry bread and butter stories isn't going to showcase the talents that lie within.

Like many others I would like to think I have a book inside me but again topic, ability and a market to punt it at are difficult areas to get spot on and to be honest I'm naturally lazy and prefer to be playing golf or working on my swing. Maybe one day. Interesting to hear your views though

Sorry for the slow reply Homer... away for the weekend.

Funnily enough, the factors that are killing newspapers and magazine circulations offer a creative outlet to the rest of the creative world.

Online news sites, fansites, blogs and self-publishing actually mean that "publishing" (whatever that means nowadays) is a more democratic thing. Your blog is a good example: free to set up and the only costs are the time you choose to put into it.

Ok, it's not the same as seeing stuff in print, which some people want, but I know a few people who have got paid writing work off the back of their blogs. That's a really good thing.

Music is the same. Myspace allowed bands to share music directly with their fans and build up a following without the endless gigging and press machine that was required before.

I'm another one who ultimately wants to write a book. It may not be released by a publishing house, but being able to self-publish and get it out there on Kindle will still be a real sense fof acheivement.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
some of your dreams are truly admirable, especially the guy who wants to go back to HMA. my choice is more selfish, I want to be a professional beach bum. A warm sandy beach, shaded by palms and with a weather-beaten driftwood bar from which I can earn a few pennies.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
surely the dream is not to work, and play golf every day. but i would settle for the job of reviewing compiling the GM top 100 courses in the UK.:eek:ne:some of them i bet they never went to:whistle: