Whats the usual format for Foursomes?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
How's it a cop-out, Louise? At a first glance looks like it shud work!

When I say cop out I mean that it is a lot easier to play than foursomes, One of our trophies actually has Foursomes engraved on it but is played as greensomes so that more pairs play in it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I say cop out I mean that it is a lot easier to play than foursomes, One of our trophies actually has Foursomes engraved on it but is played as greensomes so that more pairs play in it.
Ooooh...... AND.... presumably as Stableford?
Yes, I get how its a less threatening format with not having to get your drives in.
I've never played it but I think I'll consider having it as a Mid-week mixed 'Captain's Challenge'. In your experience (or anyone else for that matter who's looking at this thread) would the inclusion of all-male or all-female pairs spoil it in any way? Any other tips?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hate foursomes.
It’s ok in nice warm weather but in cold climes you end up standing around playing half a game of golf.
Our club seems to think it’s a winter comp as they usually play this format in winter.
I avoid it .

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooooh...... AND.... presumably as Stableford?
Yes, I get how its a less threatening format with not having to get your drives in.
I've never played it but I think I'll consider having it as a Mid-week mixed 'Captain's Challenge'. In your experience (or anyone else for that matter who's looking at this thread) would the inclusion of all-male or all-female pairs spoil it in any way? Any other tips?

I dont see any problems in playing it as any combination of players, handicap is 60% of lower handicap plus 40% of higher one.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I hate foursomes.
It’s ok in nice warm weather but in cold climes you end up standing around playing half a game of golf.
Our club seems to think it’s a winter comp as they usually play this format in winter.
I avoid it .
We switched our winter (originally 4BBB) and summer (originally foresomes) pairs knockout formats as we decided the shorter format made more sense to be played when there was less daylight, so fewer tee tines available. Nice warm weather was for a full golfing game.
Best decision made in ages.
To the OP, usual format in my experience is to get all pissy about your partner's driving for their first holes until you realise you've done same or worse to them for yours! ?