What's the oldest tool/implement you own (which you still use)?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So over the weekend I was using a lawn rake to clear up some debris in my garden. As I was using this rusty, though still in perfect-working-order implement, I realised it was older than I am. I acquired it in the late 1990s when moving into my first house - my parents brought it with them to help me get the garden in order and left it behind. They had owned it since the early 1970s. So the lawn rake which I still use for its original intended purpose is around fifty years old, which I think is pretty good going!

So come on, what is the oldest tool/implement (etc) you own that you still use for its original intended purpose? I'm sure someone can easily beat my fifty year old garden rake!

Anyone using any ancient golf equipment?!

And yes, this conversation puts me in mind of Trigger's broom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY

D

Deleted Member 1156

Oh the innuendos that this thread could/will produce!!! :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got some Hickory clubs oldest being 1906, play regularly with them, newest is 1930.

Got a 1960's Cycinder mower, though with the size of our lawn it would take all day to cut it with that. Good for a really short cut now and again

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still got Grandads old shoe repair anvil which could probably be 100+ years of age... Now used, mostly, as a doorstop... Also, still have many of Dads old spanners/sockets many of which have WD, with an arrow in the middle, stamped on them... Indicating they were formally forces issue... Probably dating from WW2...

Oldest bit of golf kit, still in use, is a Ram Zebra putter... Been in my bag for 25+ years and was secondhand when I got it... Still behaves but not nearly as regularly as it used to :(...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I have a Nike top that I been wearing to play 5 a side and then badminton at least once a week, virtually every week for over 20 odd years now. And it still looks fine to me and shows no sign of wearing out. All credit to Nike for that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Nike top that I been wearing to play 5 a side and then badminton at least once a week, virtually every week for over 20 odd years now. And it still looks fine to me and shows no sign of wearing out. All credit to Nike for that.
I have a habit of keeping clothes as long as they're not worn out as well. I still own the t-shirt I wore to my 18th birthday party, and I'm 31. It was bought in Burton and still looks fine. Similar to you, I have a couple of sportswear items that I've been using for 10-15 years.

I also have an Ikea 'Billy' bookcase that I got when I was probably around 12 and living at home, and have taken it to every home I've lived in since. I am very surprised it hasn't crumbled to pieces given that Ikea stuff usually does that within two years, let alone almost 20 years.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have my grandfathers fly-mo.

Considering he died when I was 3 and I am now 33 I estimate its about 40 years old and works perfectly.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a habit of keeping clothes as long as they're not worn out as well. I still own the t-shirt I wore to my 18th birthday party, and I'm 31. It was bought in Burton and still looks fine. Similar to you, I have a couple of sportswear items that I've been using for 10-15 years

But no red polo shirts for golf matches ? ;-)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trophy display/bookcase I've had for over 40 years. Souvenir ball marker that is over 20 years old. And the receipt from the one time Homer actually bought a round of drinks circa 1988.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have a bradawl ( a tool for making small holes in wood)
Which used to belong to my grandfather,
Well he has been gone 31 1/2 years and it was old then so I’m guessing
60-70 years old
Still does the job 👍

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a bradawl ( a tool for making small holes in wood)
Which used to belong to my grandfather,
Well he has been gone 31 1/2 years and it was old then so I’m guessing
60-70 years old
Still does the job 👍

Ands here me thinking you were going to say while looking in the mirror, na.….

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a Ripper and Tusker ,tools for cutting peat belonging to my wife's grandfather must be over 100 years old probably still be good for years to come.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have my great grandfathers anvil he used to shoe horses on the docks.
Its 100yrs plus , I use it now and again to cut wood on , would never let it go.
I also have a Stanley hand drill in perfect working order , ok for small pilot holes I use it all the time quality.
I have lots of old tools I use all the time , quality not like the crap they make now.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have and often use my grandfathers small iron crowbar which is handy for all kinds of purposes. My guess is it is about 70 years old.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got lots of my dad's cabinetmakers tools - some of the chisels especially will be from the 1920-30s if not older.

Of my own purchasing - last night I found myself wearing one of two Glasgow Garden Festival t-shirts I bought back then (in 1988). They are getting very thin as they have been worn a lot over the last 30yrs. And I still have a Faldo Pringle jersey from the 80s - though the lower RS is rather worn and has been darned a few times by my mum as that is where carrying wore out the wool :)

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a suitcase which my dad left, it has newspapers from Queen Victoria’s funeral, 1901. The following coronation and a few others. Fascinating reads, but they are unfortunately in pretty poor condition now.

The suitcase is an odd one, as it’s very very old, certainly something which was handed down to him from his father but we were never sure if it pre-dated the war.

There’s a leather attache style briefcase from early 1950s which was given to my dad as a present for his first day at school also. Lovely piece but again as you can imagine not in the best condition, but as a family we have always stored important docs in it such as passports etc when not travelling.