What's really happenin...?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I is confoosed, I was just reading the thread about Rory and his M2 driver when a little notion popped into me head, I thought I'd heard somewhere that 'TM' were ceasing to exist as of January 2017 alongside Nike ceasing production of golf equipment, is I correct or did I just dream it up one night after a few to many "Jacky D's" hopefully someone ere can straight I out on the matter...

Many tanks in advance...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I is confoosed, I was just reading the thread about Rory and his M2 driver when a little notion popped into me head, I thought I'd heard somewhere that 'TM' were ceasing to exist as of January 2017 alongside Nike ceasing production of golf equipment, is I correct or did I just dream it up one night after a few to many "Jacky D's" hopefully someone ere can straight I out on the matter...

Many tanks in advance...

TM will still exist they are being sold off by adidas

where as nike are pulling out the club market

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So when are Nike actually stopping production. When does Rory's contract with Nike finish.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So when are Nike actually stopping production. When does Rory's contract with Nike finish.

As with all Nike sponsored players he will be wearing their clothing line but are no longer subject to having to play with their clubs

Rory can pick and choose his bag now.. just like his Scotty cameroon putter now

however I dont know when his contract ends as I think he could get whoever he wants now

I wouldnt be surprised if TM dont get sold now Rory plays with them... could boost sales no end and Adidas might change their mind

D

Deleted member 18588

As with all Nike sponsored players he will be wearing their clothing line but are no longer subject to having to play with their clubs

Rory can pick and choose his bag now.. just like his Scotty cameroon putter now

however I dont know when his contract ends as I think he could get whoever he wants now

I wouldnt be surprised if TM dont get sold now Rory plays with them... could boost sales no end and Adidas might change their mind

I don't think there is a hope in hell of adidas changing their mind.

Like Nike they have discovered that the golf market and margins involved are just not worth their involvement. For example Nike's total turnover throughout all sectors is greater than the worldwide golf sales of all companies.

To international giants like adidas and Nike golf is truly a minority sport.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think there is a hope in hell of adidas changing their mind.

Like Nike they have discovered that the golf market and margins involved are just not worth their involvement. For example Nike's total turnover throughout all sectors is greater than the worldwide golf sales of all companies.

To international giants like adidas and Nike golf is truly a minority sport.

Would like to see Tiger take over TM.. was a rumour at one point and would be a huge name behind one of the best club makers in golf

D

Deleted member 18588

Would like to see Tiger take over TM.. was a rumour at one point and would be a huge name behind one of the best club makers in golf

Don't think that is a universal view of Taylormade, certainly not their irons.

But obviously these are subjective judgements and whilst some of us do not rate them that highly others will agree with yourself.

As for Tiger he would do well to chat with Jack Nicklaus. He, like Palmer and Hogan, found that owning a club manufacturer was not the best use of his capital.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again great tactics from taylormade.
Get Rory using there driver hoping someone will make a bid for the company.

Is McIlroy not capable of making his own choice ?

Is it not the case that McIlroy has decided on a club that gives him the best performance as opposed to some elaborate plan by TM to help them to be sold ?

D

Deleted member 18588

Is McIlroy not capable of making his own choice ?

Is it not the case that McIlroy has decided on a club that gives him the best performance as opposed to some elaborate plan by TM to help them to be sold ?

Absolutely!

In any event Rory using their driver and fairway wood is not likely to increase the attraction of TM to any potential buyer. There are far more fundamental business reasons for purchasing (or not) the company.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Suppose for adidas it does one of two things Nike leaving. First, it solidifies there belief that the golf market is not worth it too them. Or secondly (less likely) Nike leaving presents them with less competition so more opportunities.

I wouldn't be surprised if there efforts to sell slowed down for a period, enabling them to re-assess the market.

D

Deleted member 18588

Suppose for adidas it does one of two things Nike leaving. First, it solidifies there belief that the golf market is not worth it too them. Or secondly (less likely) Nike leaving presents them with less competition so more opportunities.

I wouldn't be surprised if there efforts to sell slowed down for a period, enabling them to re-assess the market.

The golf hardware (i.e. clubs and balls) is always likely to be too small to interest the giants. They have tried, it's not worked and they will move on.

All of us on here love golf butwe should not, as a result, over estimate its importance in a business sense.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't think that is a universal view of Taylormade, certainly not their irons.

But obviously these are subjective judgements and whilst some of us do not rate them that highly others will agree with yourself.

As for Tiger he would do well to chat with Jack Nicklaus. He, like Palmer and Hogan, found that owning a club manufacturer was not the best use of his capital.

Got to agree with you on the issue of TM's build quality, 2 of my mates have TM irons and I've had to re-set several of the heads on both of their sets, whilst on the subject of irons what's wrong with Nicklaus irons ?

I run a set of "Polarity TR1's" absolutely superb irons as far as I'm concerned once you've changed the shafts, grips, lies corrected the lofts, other than that there's absolutely nowt wrong with-em... :rofl:

Ps, I will add I've had to do the same to a set of Callaway's as well so not just TM's build quality that's questionable...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
1 more pro using your clubs is hardly going to impact any decision to buy or not to buy the business, tour pros come and go, how many Next Tigers have been proclaimed in the last 15 years? and how many have 5 majors? None would be the answer.

D

Deleted member 18588

Got to agree with you on the issue of TM's build quality, 2 of my mates have TM irons and I've had to re-set several of the heads on both of their sets, whilst on the subject of irons what's wrong with Nicklaus irons ?

I run a set of "Polarity TR1's" absolutely superb irons as far as I'm concerned once you've changed the shafts, grips, lies corrected the lofts, other than that there's absolutely nowt wrong with-em... :rofl:

Ps, I will add I've had to do the same to a set of Callaway's as well so not just TM's build quality that's questionable...:rolleyes:

Nothing at all wrong with Nicklaus clubs.

My point was that club manufacturing has rarely, if ever, proved as profitable as some would hope.

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
1 more pro using your clubs is hardly going to impact any decision to buy or not to buy the business, tour pros come and go, how many Next Tigers have been proclaimed in the last 15 years? and how many have 5 majors? None would be the answer.

I wouldn't agree with that.
If taylormade had Rory on there books contracted for the next 4 years I reckon it would attract more interest in the business