What type of ball ?

yoda

Visit site
Hi new member here ! I have a question or two regarding golf balls.I'm a 16 handicap and member of Stowmarket GC in Suffolk and i would like to know what type of ball is regarded as best during the winter months but in particular speaking as somebody who can't purposely put spin on a ball,is a soft ball wasted on me ? i tend to use a hard ball most of the time but that's more due to habit than anything,also would i progress as a golfer if i switched to a soft ball ? thanks in advance .

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi new member here ! I have a question or two regarding golf balls.I'm a 16 handicap and member of Stowmarket GC in Suffolk and i would like to know what type of ball is regarded as best during the winter months but in particular speaking as somebody who can't purposely put spin on a ball,is a soft ball wasted on me ? i tend to use a hard ball most of the time but that's more due to habit than anything,also would i progress as a golfer if i switched to a soft ball ? thanks in advance .

If you're using a hard, non spinning ball then I'd stick with that.

I been using a ProV1 for the last few years, but tried the V1x over the winter, purely to see how it plays.

So far so good.

Plenty on here move from a premium ball to a mid range in winter. Some for extra distance. Some for less spin. Some people play the same ball all year round.

Personal preference I suppose.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're using a hard, non spinning ball then I'd stick with that.

I been using a ProV1 for the last few years, but tried the V1x over the winter, purely to see how it plays.

So far so good.

Plenty on here move from a premium ball to a mid range in winter. Some for extra distance. Some for less spin. Some people play the same ball all year round.

Personal preference I suppose.

You forgot the group that don't want to lose a premium ball under leaves or when it gets plugged in soggy ground ;)

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When the greens are are soft as ours are in winter there is no need for backspin to stop it on the green .
I'd continue with the ball you are using.
In summer months on hard dry greens then it is a different matter.