What To Do ............................

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been persevering with my current set of irons (Mizuno MX-200) for a while now and whilst there is an improvement my consistency is poor. I'm currently playing off 27 so I may have been too adventurous in my choice of irons. At the range I use at lunchtime there is an American Golf store associated with it and they have a couple of bags of clubs to try.

I tried a couple but I got on well with the Ping G15 irons and I found that I could hit the ball better and consistently further with them than my Mizuno’s. Now what is really confusing is that currently I have graphite shafts but with the Pings I was hitting the steel shaft iron further than my Mizuno’s but I when I tried the graphite shaft on the Pings I was hitting the same distance as the steel shaft Pings.

So I now have a bit of a quandary, do I stick with the Mizuno’s or do I invest in a set of Ping G15’s and if I do should I go for steel or graphite shafts?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you are under 70 I would go with steel shafts if possible. To me, they are more consistent (and cheaper to fix when you have an accident).

On the other hand, if you keep your clubs in a locker, graphite won't rust when you put them away wet.

The other thing is that golf isn't just about distance, or we would all play Wilson Staff. How was the dispersion?

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are under 70 I would go with steel shafts if possible. To me, they are more consistent (and cheaper to fix when you have an accident).

I have a slow swing speed and was told that I'm more suited to graphite shafts, but that was a year ago so things might have changed.

The other thing is that golf isn't just about distance, or we would all play Wilson Staff. How was the dispersion?

The majority of shots were where I was aiming with the odd errant one so I would say it was pretty good.