What new music are you listening to

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've decided to overhaul my music playlists and I'm after some new music as I haven't bought any in absolutely ages. Can anyone recommend any good new/recent albums.

Current albums on the are guns n roses, acdc, Aerosmith, stereophonic s, kings of Leon, arctic monkeys, black sabbath, kaiser chiefs

I do listen to a huge range of music so almos anything considered, but no boy bans, choirs, death metal, rappers, you get the idea

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mostly listening to the Foo Fighters at the moment and ACDC live at river plate. Also like Plan B

How did I forget I had foo fighters on my playlist, I only have the studio collection which is In the region of 10-11 cd's. also just been flicking through and forgot Fallout Boy and their version of MJ's Beat It

Brian, Jessie j and Adele are not my cup of tea but I do occasionally listen to Emily Sande when the wife has it on.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I am stereotyping massively here, but as a golfer I am assuming you are not after any bleeding edge dubstep. ;)

I'd go for The XX, either albums, it wont scare the horses but is something new and it very good. Also Elbow are recommended, I'd go for 'Leaders of the Free World' first, then 'The Seldom Seen Kid'.

I would of course also recommend some post rock gods such as Sigur Ros, Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor, but they may be an acquired taste. ;) But in my warped opinion so worth it. Happy to send you a post rock compilation CD of said bands if you PM me your address.

Last edited:

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Good shouts by hacker khan.

For me I would recommend:

Bombay bicycle club - I had the blues but I shook them loose (favourite band/album)
Bastille - bad blood (debut album is pretty good)
Idlewild - 100 broken windows

Also worthwhile giving the following bands a try

Foals
Editors
Arcade fire

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Good shouts by hacker khan.

For me I would recommend:

Bombay bicycle club - I had the blues but I shook them loose (favourite band/album)
Bastille - bad blood (debut album is pretty good)
Idlewild - 100 broken windows

Also worthwhile giving the following bands a try

Foals
Editors
Arcade fire

Spanish Sahara by Foals is a modern classic. Good call sir.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eric Clapton,
images

Thin Lizzy,
images

Jeff Healy,
images

Cream,
images

Rory Gallagher,
images

Humble Pie ...................... ooooooh Humble Pie Performance, Rockin' the Fillmore.
images
BUY IT !

Slime.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
A couple I've noted so far, the foals and the xx

Will do a little more YouTube'n before getting their album

Get Spotify, it will change your world. ;)

I have an opinion that it is wrong to write off any genre of music. I believe that everyone has their preferences, for example for any 7 year olds it is One Direction, for me it is post rock, if you are a golfer then chances is it is 70s and 80s rock. You will then favour this type of music and mostly buy it, but there is about 5% of any genre that is wonderful music. And it is often that 5% that is the most rewarding.

For example I am not enamoured by country music, but I would argue that Hurt by Johnny Cash is one of the greatest records ever. Pop music is not really for me, but I would defend some songs by Girls Aloud as being great songs as much as I would defend the right to vote.

Nowadays with the internet, and especially services like Spotify and Last FM, there is so much great music that is easily accessible out there. People often bemoan the fact that X Factor has killed music, but I would argue great music is easier to make and access than ever before.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Mumford and sons are on in my car at the moment.
Train are really good.
id recommend sigor ros, if youve ever watched a bbc wildlife documentary and thought that the backing music was good.

Ps I know you said no rap, but the Jason Zed (jay z) linkin park album is immense.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
id recommend sigor ros, if youve ever watched a bbc wildlife documentary and thought that the backing music was good.

That's 3 Sigur Ros golf fans on this board :) One more and we can have a 4 ball where we can hit poor golf shots but at the same time enthuse about music sung mostly in falsetto in a made up language that sounds like glaciers colliding under an Icelandic volcanoes.

Also Sigur Ros have just announced a short UK tour in November, and if you are a fan and have not seen then live then stick it on your bucket list and get tickets.