What length is your driver? Have you changed it from the standard club length?

What length is your driver?

• Standard - Off the shelf length!

• Shorter - Custom length!

• Longer - Custom length!

• No idea - I just wallop it!

• I don’t use a driver.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Boomy

Visit site
Having spent a few weeks experimenting with driver shafts and lengths I’ve ordered a Project x Evenflow Riptide 6.0 to go in my Ping G400 driver… custom built to 42.5” which in the head (1.25”) will mean the club plays 43.75” which is 2” shorter than the stock Alta CB shaft (45.75”) You wouldn’t think 2” would make that much difference (keep it clean) but my dispersion numbers are worlds better and I’ve gained distance (average increase c18 yards)

My coach says it is likely down to fitting my body geometry better and increased confidence to wallop it with the shorter club. Definitely feel more confident with the shorter set up.

Anyone else changed theirs? Or had a fitter suggest a shorter driver?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I cut my driver shaft down last year (- 1") and found the same, much better dispersion and no loss in distance as I was finding the middle more.

I've put my longer shaft back in over winter and hitting it better but won't rule out switching it back it needs be.

Boomy

Visit site
I cut my driver shaft down last year (- 1") and found the same, much better dispersion and no loss in distance as I was finding the middle more.

I've put my longer shaft back in over winter and hitting it better but won't rule out switching it back it needs be.

If it’s keeping it in play more and no loss of distance why not stick with the slightly shorter set up I guess?

I’ve always struggled with driver and I know a lot (most) of it is in my head - I was hitting my 3 and sometimes even 5 wood as far, if not further than my driver. Which is what intrigued me to do some research. Defo feel like I can hit it harder with more control now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use an m2 with a cut down shaft and it worked decent enough

Moved to a F7 off the shelf.. went well

Then treated myself to speedzone off shelf and it goes long (for me) and straight

D

Deleted member 1147

Currently it’s standard. But tried a half inch shorter shaft at a fitting, and hit the middle of the club more often. So may well end up shorter in future.
Most pros use shorter shafts.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t remember, it’s too many years ago, but I swapped for a stiffer shaft and think I went down 1.5” to about 44” at the same time. Length and accuracy improved as I could swing faster with more control.

Basically it’s a ladies length, pretty much right for my build.

Boomy

Visit site
Currently it’s standard. But tried a half inch shorter shaft at a fitting, and hit the middle of the club more often. So may well end up shorter in future.
Most pros use shorter shafts.

They do indeed, I was quite surprised when I was researching it as to how much shorter pros driver shafts are. My coach, who is a active playing pro, and well over 6ft tall plays a 44” shaft in his driver.

Boomy

Visit site
I can’t remember, it’s too many years ago, but I swapped for a stiffer shaft and think I went down 1.5” to about 44” at the same time. Length and accuracy improved as I could swing faster with more control.

Basically it’s a ladies length, pretty much right for my build.

Brilliant ?? And who doesn’t want accuracy and length to improve - win-win. I think that is pretty much the same for me, it just fits me better, meaning I can swing it faster with more control - and it is improving my confidence.

For me it’s not about bravado, it’s about scoring the best I can - so if that involves shortening a driver to 3 wood or ladies driver length so be it. I do wonder if some players might see it as a step down by getting a driver shortened.

Boomy

Visit site
I suspect for most people it's not an ego thing, just that they haven't had the opportunity to test multiple different length of shafts so use the standard length.

I agree, for the vast majority it’ll be a case of playing it as it comes out of the box. Also it doesn’t appear that fitters try shorter shaft set ups that frequently, so if someone is fitted for standard length why would they think a shorter shaft might improve it even more.
Maybe some folk out there who’s ego would stop it from happening, but I’m thinking more of a feeling of a backwards step by shortening it - the thoughts did enter my mind until I actually tried it.

JT.

Visit site
My driver has a 44” shaft (I’m 6’ tall) - results are an increase in length (can be as much as +10 yards or so) and much tighter dispersion.

Result of increased swing speed and hitting in out of the middle more often. Only goes to confirm golf is a game of confidence!

Boomy

Visit site
My driver has a 44” shaft (I’m 6’ tall) - results are an increase in length (can be as much as +10 yards or so) and much tighter dispersion.

Result of increased swing speed and hitting in out of the middle more often. Only goes to confirm golf is a game of confidence!

Great results ??

Definitely a game of confidence, and also confirms that one size doesn’t fit all. OEM’s need to supply shaft fitting kit which include length options and stop peddling out standard 45/46” drivers for everyone. I think Cobra do shorter shaft options.

Reactions: JT.

Boomy

Visit site
I cut mine down by 0.75”, centre contact is achieved more often now. (Doesn’t mean it goes straight mind!)

I’m looking forward to seeing the results over a longer period of time, but early results are longer drives with tighter dispersion - but don’t get me wrong I can still a doozy way off line every now and again ?

JT.

Visit site
I’m looking forward to seeing the results over a longer period of time, but early results are longer drives with tighter dispersion - but don’t get me wrong I can still a doozy way off line every now and again ?

Yes despite the good results I’ve seen (over 18 months or so), it doesn’t stop me swinging over the top and knocking it into the cabbage every now and then ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have custom fit shaft (prepped and fitted by me) but I just used the stock shaft to fit for length.

I still say it easier to to just go down the grip if you want to shorten for a shot but impossible to go up a cut down down shaft.

Boomy

Visit site
I have custom fit shaft (prepped and fitted by me) but I just used the stock shaft to fit for length.

I still say it easier to to just go down the grip if you want to shorten for a shot but impossible to go up a cut down down shaft.

If that works for you, then that’s great ?? Personally, I’d prefer to hold the grip in the designed place so it fits in my hand properly. Properly fitted then.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If that works for you, then that’s great ?? Personally, I’d prefer to hold the grip in the designed place so it fits in my hand properly. Properly fitted then.

I use plain round grips so there is no 'designed place'. This also allows me to open and close the the club face for the shot I am trying to hit (draw/fade).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've no idea what the length of the shaft is in my M2, I got it off a guy on here, it does feel longer than the mizuno one I got on a whim last year.

I tried a cut down shaft when I was struggling with the driver, but it was a swing fault rather than the drivers.