What is that little 'pop' of the leg the pros do actuallyfor?

Dorian

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok, so after watching countless slow motion videos of touring professionals I've noticed the majority seem to have this thing where they 'pop' or 'explode' (for want of better words) their left side at impact. The left heel pops up off the floor. It seems to be really exaggerated in Bubba Watson's swing.

The only reason I can see for this is to create some extra clubhead speed? Am I right or way off the mark?

Dorian

Club Champion
Visit site
Thank you! That's exactly what I meant! Hadn't seen any videos or posts about this anywhere! (Didn't really know what to search for!)

However, after picking up on this from videos I worked out I might be better off using knee flex to create the hip turn, which in turn creates that 'pop'. I tried it out at the range over the weekend. Shooting less consistently at the mo, but the decent shots do go further. Just need to get the new timing down - now I know it's not a huge error to try incorporating into my swing!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must do it occasionally as I hit the odd bomb then I try and replicate (aka try and think about it) and cock it up haha.

Not sure if my 40 year old bones could handle it, we shall see :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can I make a suggestion please?
If you are still new to the game, I would concentrate more on the basics first. Get a good foundation in golf and build on it as you go.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Do you think that extension is something that should be built in at a later date then Bob?

I'd suggest it IS part of the basics of a 'good foundation' as you say. If you swing properly you should be looking to use the big muscles in your body to create speed/power, not just swinging the arms and hope to thin the ball down the range.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
^
^
^
Do you think that extension is something that should be built in at a later date then Bob?

I'd suggest it IS part of the basics of a 'good foundation' as you say. If you swing properly you should be looking to use the big muscles in your body to create speed/power, not just swinging the arms and hope to thin the ball down the range.

Why did I know you'd say something like that ?

So we'll just forget the posture, the stance, aim, club face, swing path and angle of attack and focus on an upward thrust of the hips and hope it doesn't turn into an early extension instead.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When you describe the swing to a beginner does it not include swinging through to a nice finish?

Never realised there were any pros teaching that describe the clubface, swingpath and angle of attack to a beginner :whistle:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you describe the swing to a beginner does it not include swinging through to a nice finish?

Absolutely.
I call it the Hollywood finish.

Never realised there were any pros teaching that describe the clubface, swingpath and angle of attack to a beginner

So you would you encourage an upward hip thrust at impact before the golfer has learned a good grip, a good ball position and a good swing path ?

Dorian

Club Champion
Visit site
I can both points. However, there is a choice:A) I leave it until later and risk having to really adjust a comfortable swing to do it, orB) do it now and just learn that style of swing. Maybe not. But that's how I see it for now.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would always encourage a golfer to finish nicely, posted up on their straight left leg, I wouldn't necassarily be explaining WHY to a beginner... wouldn't want to confuse them, especially not after having had to explain their grip, posture, alignment, swingpath angle of attack and whatever else it was that you said ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I can only say that I wish I had been shown it earlier in my playing days as the move, for me, is the missing piece of the jigsaw. It stops me coming over the top, keeps the ball straighter with even some draw and I can hit further with much less effort

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This video might help explain the other thread and also answer your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5SJQajBsc

Yeh, I like that video (I posted it in that thread) but the stuff Costis says about him closing the clubface is poop, he doesn't. The face isn't closed. The stuff Costis says about him extending upwards and the way he drives his hips to the left is spot on.