• Playing to your handicap and winning a club comp and a £30 pro shop voucher

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • Beating your handicap and getting chopped but winning nothing

Votes: 79 77.5%

• Total voters

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
always check your own card after the round. triple check if you have done well. two of my mates got DQ'd this year in their very first comp. i marked their cards and had the ask the secretary what was the problem. he informed me they hadnt filled in their handicap. i was glad as i thought it was something i had done. they had a bad score anyway so it wasnt a costly mistake!

Oh believe me lesson learned. The problem was he was marking my card for a comp he wasn't playing in so I didn't take a card out for him and didn't have anything to check it against and when I looked at the card it looked ok. Now I take a card whatever they are doing just for my scores.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
A cut for me. My reason being that I can only play my game, and there's nothing I can do about how others do on the day. If I have achieved a cut, I have got the reward for good golf, and a great deal of personal satisfaction. A win is fantastic, and a big buzz, but I want my handicap to be as low as possible. That's my end game, and therefore any cut is progress.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Apparently it's all about winning... just ask Rickie Fowler.

Handicap means nothing if you can't/don't win....

and for some bizarre reason I voted for a cut :confused::confused:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cut for me everytime.

wouldnt mind another win. ive only ever had one. had three second places last year. one was presidents day with 46 points. got a 19inch tv instead of a 32! doh !!

I knew there were plenty bandits at Foyle Gary but second place with 46 points? That's just ridiculous!!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as i say, i near enough given up hope of winning another one. ive shot a personal best before which was 6 under my handicap and didnt make the top 3! lol

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whilst I'm always grateful for a cut, there is nothing more satisfying than putting together a classy round and finishing top of the pile. Even better if its an honours board event and so the name is there to see. However I'm not a win at all cost guy and it isn't the be all and end all

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A cut for me.

I can't imagine winning much. Most of our board comps are decided by 18 holes of medal, followed by a top 16 knock out over the next 8 weeks. That's too much like hard work for me.

I think the only one you can outright win is the spring meeting 36 hole medal. I came 6th, and was about 8 shots off the pace. I am unlikely to shoot two rounds of 6 over playing off 10.

Mind you, win one of our medals, and you are more likely to walk off with £160 than £30.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive gone for a cut. When i'm on the course, the only person i'm playing is myself. I'm not interested in beating anyone else. If I lose against my handicap then ive lost. No matter where I finish on the leaderboard. Thats my viewpoint anyway...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iv gone for the cut too......
Its nice to have a few bob for a win also in which case you'll get cut as well so i suppose thats the best of both worlds....

But getting cut means that im playing well and beating my handicap with in turn is giving me more confidence and the ability to go after the win at times.
Its not all about the money though....Good god im sounding like a Pro now.:whistle:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I went for cut over a win but normally they do go hand in hand except when your card marker makes a complete c*ck up of it and you get disqualified BUT still get cut by the computer.
I need cuts to make my PYBC personal achievement of getting down to 18 this year and getting my name on a trophy while I've still got my bandits handicap!

Your card is your responsibility. I've never understood why people don't keep track of their own score, but even if you don't surely you can remember what you scored on each hole at the end of the round?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as i say, i near enough given up hope of winning another one. ive shot a personal best before which was 6 under my handicap and didnt make the top 3! lol

I shot 76 gross last year in a midweek medal off 11 and was beaten to 2nd place by Sundance who shot gross 77, I think he was off 15 at the time. We were playing in the same group as well so it was a lot of fun but scary to think our combined score (+13) would have got him a 0.6 cut!!!!!

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
As much as it's nice to win a club comp and get your name on the board, I personally think there's more pride when you tell someone your new, lower handicap.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I play to get my handicap as low as possible. If I beat my handicap then I've played well. If I play well then eventually I may win something.