What do I need next... longer or shorter?

markwalker84

Visit site
Hi,

New member here.

Been playing this infuriating game for about 5 years now.
Not with any real regularity though, so I'm still very much a high handicapper (play to 28 on a *good* day).

Just been away for a week in Portugal though and my game improved a lot, so thinking of adding a couple of new toys top the bag.

I've got a set of King Cobra Oversize Irons: 5-SW with graphite (regular flex?) shafts (actually got the 3 and 4 as well but they live under the bed).

I've also got a Cobra Baffler DWS 26* 4 Hybrid with a lite flex shaft which I picked up recently and simply love. I honestly think I use this club as much as my putter (an Odyssey jobby)!

And that's it. I've got a reasonable Big Bertha driver but I just can't hit the thing for love nor money so it never makes the bag. Hoofs off to the right every single time.

I'm clearly lacking at the long end of the bag, but I'm equally tempted by another wedge or two (I'm not a big hitter... can hit the Hybrid about 180 on a good day), so what would you lot recommend?

If I could find another Baffler in a lower loft I reckon I'd go for that, but I've only found them in stiff or regular flex so I'd be a bit worried about it not feeling "the same" as the one I've got and love so much.

Anyway, that turned out longer than I was expecting.

Thanks for any advice!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome

understand the thoughts around gettin some additions to the bag

but currently where you are game-wise you have 5i thru SW plus a hybrid that's all currently 'usable' out in play

by brief description of the issues with the driver - then all that will enviably be around how you grip the handle - set-up -posture & alignments which will be delivering the club on an out to in path with a face angle that's still open at impact

so spending money on say a 3metal which would have some more loft on the face that would give a tad of more help than driver - it's still all goin to be around set-up & swing technique that's causing the difficulties

given you got a PW & SW then again where you are in the game it's about practice of distances between as an example of 20' to 100' with PW giving tad lower traj & SW say 20' to 80' with tad higher flight

my take & experience of folks either starting off in the game or having been aways from the game & re-starting over you would actually get more bang for the buck in using the $'s would spend on clubs to get a series of lessons

so a general overview of how the hands best orientated on the handle along with set-up posture/alignments/ball position etc
plus having some short game lesson advice on these part shots 20' to 100'

plus a lesson looking at best ways to set-up with the driver & how the driver swing is best approached - as irons to driver is a tad different both in set-up & swing dynamics

that's goin to be a quicker route to both getting more enjoyment out of the game while also improving
then look to what goes in the bag after that

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Must admit I'm not sure... I know it's "neutral" set up but not sure on the flex.

It's this guy: https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/callaway_big_bertha_fusion_ft-3_driver_review
but I think most of the printing / writing on the shaft has worn off.

Bought it second hand off a single digit HC player, so assume it would regular or stiff.

Ah! The 'Donk'! I have one that I used for several years sitting in the 'discarded but still useful' pile - waiting to extract the shaft for use elsewhere!

Worth checking the loft of the head! not the most forgiving head, even for its time, particularly if the loft was low! There has been some significant increase in forgiveness since the FT3, though not too much less in the last few years. So it might be time to go in search of something that gives a bit of forgiveness. Ping K series, or even the G series is a likely candidate. TaylorMade provides plenty of choice! Likewise Callaway and Cobra (if you can stand the sound!).

Is you do go the Fairway Wood direction first, I'd recommend a 4-wood (or perhaps even a 5-Wood!) These tend to be much easier to hit (and straighter!) than the lower lofted 3-wood.

Of course, a session, or series of sessions, with a Pro is likely to be highly beneficial! (S)he will also be in a better position than most to advise on your best 'next step'!

markwalker84

Visit site
Haha - "Donk" sounds about right!

It's a 10* from memory, so not super aggressive, but still fairly shallow from my limited understanding of drivers.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If the face is open at impact, the ball will head off to the right even with a straight swing.
It may be down to the shaft being too stiff or your grip being wrong.
Look at the pic below and comare it to your grip. If its different, that could be your problem.
If it's the same, look out for another driver that is either soft regular, A shaft or even a ladies shaft

CIMG3304.jpg