What 2nd hand clubs would you recommend for novice 18 year olds

jackstraw

Visit site
Hi
I have two sons who are showing an interest in golf and I would like to develop this if I can

I intend to buy them each a set of irons and need advice as to what to go for.

I am aiming for second hand clubs, a few years old with a budget of about £200 per set of irons

Both lads are 6' tall and very sporty. They are completely new to golf and will be high handicappers to start

My two queries are

1. What clubs would you recommend?

2. I have seen a quote against one set of irons that they had won the Golf Monthly Club of the Year 2011 and were particularly good for players with low handicaps. Is there a list of winners of 'Iron Set of the Year' for high handicappers going back to say 2006

Many thanks

Jack

A

Alex1975

Golf Digest Hot List 20XX, they are all available.

Your looking for something with steel shafts.

I would look at a Callaway X18, X20. Ping G5, 10, 15.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Callaway X range (X12-X18 were the best in my opinion). TM Burner 1.0, Ping G5, 10's

Have a look somewhere like Golfbidder to get a feel for what is out there and the prices and then trawl the web

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi
I have two sons who are showing an interest in golf and I would like to develop this if I can

I intend to buy them each a set of irons and need advice as to what to go for.

I am aiming for second hand clubs, a few years old with a budget of about £200 per set of irons

Both lads are 6' tall and very sporty. They are completely new to golf and will be high handicappers to start

My two queries are

1. What clubs would you recommend?

2. I have seen a quote against one set of irons that they had won the Golf Monthly Club of the Year 2011 and were particularly good for players with low handicaps. Is there a list of winners of 'Iron Set of the Year' for high handicappers going back to say 2006

Many thanks

Jack

If you want a fair quality new set of budget clubs then take a look at this site:

http://www.forgan.co.uk/default.aspx

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Given the offers at American Golf I would take the lads down there and get them to try some of the clubs on offer to see what they hit best and what feels the most comfortable for them.

jackstraw

Visit site
Many thanks for taking the time to reply

I am keener to buy a good quality second hand set than something new and shiny so I am going to take advice and look at the Callaway X18/X20's and the Ping G5's

Homer J Simpson suggests trawling the net - I have had a look at Golfbidder. what a great site and of course e-bay. Are there other sites you would recommend I have a look at?

Many thanks again

Jack

mickl84

Visit site
Hello. I'm going to be taking up golf rather soon and I am also debating which clubs to get. So far I really like the look of Wilson Staff Di9's. I think they are £200 at AmericanGolf. I have read mainly very good reviews about them and I think they look excellent aswell.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Cannot recommend the Mizuno MX23s highly enough.0

There's a couple of sets on the Bay currently at £125 (4-PW) and £149 (3-PW).

Serious 'Game Improver' tools and suitable for low-cappers too.

jackstraw

Visit site
Many thanks for the good advice about clubs for my boys
I have opted for a full set (3-9 plus PW, AW, SW) of Callaway x18's
First impressions are great and I think the boys are going to enjoy playing with them.
Winter gear on - thermals, hats, bodywarmers and waterproofs, game on tomorrow
Wish me luck, they are young bloodied and don't feel the cold!
Cheers
Jack

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be tempted to pop down to your local pro and get him to look at the fitment on the clubs. If your lads are tall they would definitely benefit from having them fitted to them, it may just be a case of altering the lie angle but it would almost certainly help them get off on the right foot.

jackstraw

Visit site
Thanks MadAdey. Couple of q's.
Would a local pro be happy to look at clubs that were bought through eBay and not through his/her shop?
The clubs - Callaway X18's - seem to be a machined head attached to a standard steel shaft. How would the pro be able to alter the lie angle?
My lads are 5'9 and 5'11, so probably average height, still worthwhile?
Many thanks
Jack

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes any pro would be happy to have a look at the lie angles for you. With the height of your lads I do not think that they would need the clubs lengthening so would be a very quick process. It will cost you a few quid not much if he thought that they would benefit from having the lie angles altered.

Regarding altering the lie angles it can be a bit medieval. He will put them in the vice and belt them with a hammer.......:eek:. Do not worry it is common practice.