Wentworth

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi all,

Have many of you played there? Specifically the Edinburgh course?

We are lucky enough to have been drawn away there in a Surrey comp and 5 of us will get to go over there an play. Should be fun, I'm looking forward to it.

I have no hesitation in saying it will be a big ask to win, but I plan on just enjoying the day. Anything in particular we should look out for? or be aware of etc?

Cheers

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I've played it many times! Lovely track with lots of dog leg holes. Might be worth buying a course planner from the pro shop to get your yardages on the dog leg holes.

There's quite a few holes that have false fronts on the greens so trust that extra club. It can be a beast off the back tees and the last time I played it the greens were very quick and true so make sure you have a putt on the practice green by the first tee before you out.

Make sure you take a trolley if possible as the walks from green to tee are like running a marathon!!

Enjoy and play well!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played it quite regularly a few years ago. Doubt it's changed much

Can write up each hole if you wish, but best simple advice is to know how far on the pins are - greens are generally very big, so plenty of scope for variable distances. Make sure you have a Quite a few 'blind'/doglegs holes, so yardage book worth having - excellent souvenir too! Oh and if it comes down to the last, make sure you are below (right of) or very close to the hole! Some great par 3s too! An excellent test for handicap golfers! I generally scored much better on West or East!

Oh...And enjoy! Both the course and the clubhouse!

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What the others have said - it's all about the doglegs.

Even the non dogleg holes are about the positioning of the tee shot.

Probably the most advantage to the home team I'm aware of on any course I've played!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surrey Scratch? We're home to Hankley Common - shame we didn't get the away draw on that one.

A good few years back, I was running a Surrey Fives team and we drew Wentworth away. I eventually got hold of the guy who ran their team to arrange the match and the courtesy practice round for the team only to be told they had already been over. Turned out our then captain had been contacted and took his vice-captain and his mates who weren't members over pretending to be the team. Then came back and told us - "nothing you can do about it, I'm the captain." We put it to the team and they all voted to forfeit the match out of principle. Tried to raise it as a committee issue but they weren't having any of it. I didn't play for that club for another 10 years.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Excellent course and in my opinion the best of the Wentworth courses by a good stretch. We had Wentworth at home in the Hillman a few years ago and they were a very strong side (too good for us). As others have said, it's about the dog-legs and getting the ball into the right place. It is vital to club correctly into the greens too. If not you can leave yourself in terrible positions where a three putt is a good result. Enjoy the match, enjoy the course and enjoy the clubhouse. Win or lose it'll be a good day out

Homer

Visit site
Surrey Scratch? We're home to Hankley Common - shame we didn't get the away draw on that one.

A good few years back, I was running a Surrey Fives team and we drew Wentworth away. I eventually got hold of the guy who ran their team to arrange the match and the courtesy practice round for the team only to be told they had already been over. Turned out our then captain had been contacted and took his vice-captain and his mates who weren't members over pretending to be the team. Then came back and told us - "nothing you can do about it, I'm the captain." We put it to the team and they all voted to forfeit the match out of principle. Tried to raise it as a committee issue but they weren't having any of it. I didn't play for that club for another 10 years.

10 out of 10 for effort!!

Homer

Visit site
Excellent course and in my opinion the best of the Wentworth courses by a good stretch. We had Wentworth at home in the Hillman a few years ago and they were a very strong side (too good for us). As others have said, it's about the dog-legs and getting the ball into the right place. It is vital to club correctly into the greens too. If not you can leave yourself in terrible positions where a three putt is a good result. Enjoy the match, enjoy the course and enjoy the clubhouse. Win or lose it'll be a good day out

Are you saying that a Surrey club played in a BB&O competition?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
the west is the best by a country mile there. Just because it’s been modernised people take issue with it

Edinburgh is good but I got bored of

Left dog leg
Right dog leg
Left dog leg

Repeat

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the west is the best by a country mile there. Just because it’s been modernised people take issue with it

Edinburgh is good but I got bored of

Left dog leg
Right dog leg
Left dog leg

Repeat
Agree - although I found that the East was probably the most enjoyable to play....but conditions at the time came into it.

Edinburgh the least enjoyment by a long way.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Wow thats terrible!! I cant believe someone would be so brazen to do something like that. And then for the committee to do nothing. I wouldnt dream of doing that as captain! It wouldnt even enter my stream of thought.

They wont give courtesy rounds now, they says it against club policy, possibly because of issues like that!

Yes, it's the scratch comp. I'll look forward to dogleg after dogleg then... hahaha

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was a real scumbag of a club then with a committee to suit and I'm glad I left. The story went round the club pretty quickly and he and his mates were off the committee by the following year. We didn't tell anyone we had forfeited the match until after the next round to make sure no-one took our places. The five of us were unanimous about taking that action. The Wentworth guy was really apologetic but of course had no idea. He ended up arranging us for all to get a game on the East course to make up for it. So everyone won in the end. See you later in the event if you and Pyrford get through a few rounds :)