Wentworth experience

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first experience of watching golf live was yesterday at Wentworth. This necessitated an early 5.15 start as I planned to arrive in time for the first starters at 7.00, foiled by roadworks south of Luton on the M1 which put me on the M25 just too late.

You would have thought Wentworth would have got it right by now but their signs were in the wrong place directing us to the wrong gate; much as I would have wished I don't think I'm quite ready to compete. Simply driving into the course is magical, just how many zeroes are there on those house prices?

Got a good parking spot just below the 2nd green (note to self check the car park references before you leave the car, saves no end of trouble afterward!).

This is a good place to start watching pro golf. A simple 154 yd Par 3 elevated tee to an elevated green, which has a steep apron and two bunkers to the front. The pin was to the front about 10 ft from the lip. It transpired that the best putting line was from the front and that almost all who putt from the back misread the line.

I had a good run of players to watch right from the off, Aguilar, Edfors, Dredge, Levet, Otto, McGinley, Howell, McDowell, Goosen, Clarke, Kaymer, Els, Dougherty, Romero, Casey, Jimenez and Bjorn.

The best approach by far was David Howell, 12 inches from the pin. However sad to say he also exhibited a poor of display of etiquette. I know the pro's are all in their 'zone' but in my and most of the gallery's view, marching up to the green, finishing your birdie and heading off to the 3rd tee before the rest of your group are on the green is not how it is done, especially as he stalked the tee all the while they were putting out.

I decided to follow the Jimenez group for several holes. None of them were 'on fire' Jimenez dropping down to +3 by the 7th. Bjorn was +2, not striking that well (skirting with OOB and lots of rough but saving pars) but also letting everyone know it - bear with sore head.

The pace was so slow! Aguilar's group was only the 5th to start but already they were backing up on the tees. By mid-day they imposed a 15 minute delay to try to sort out the backlog but that lasted all of one hole. (By then I had headed back to 2 for lunch - the food available around the course is not that great! - and to see some of the later starters).

When Dyson arrived at the 2nd he decided the hole had moved or something, so call in a referee - wait 5 or 10 mins for one to arrive. Meantime Monty has arrived on the 2nd tee. Referee arrives, call in a greenkeeper - wait for 5 or 10 mins. Monty has done the stand with arms crossed, stalk the tee and repeat two or three times. Greenkeeper arrives, resets the cup (in exactly the same place) and leaves to huge applause, which he acknowledged by raising his cap! Paul Broadhurst makes his birdie (good applause), Dyson (disppointly to the gallery) his par.

(If the PGA are serious about speeding up play then one place to start is a referee to at minimum every two holes and greens teams stationed around the course. And on another issue keep everyone but the players and one caddy off the greens - the sheer number of people hammering the greens is incredible, players, caddies, marshalls, referees. Every caddy seemed to fine it necessary to pace out the green, Fanny using giant steps. Just how much it changes for late starters . . . Oh and did you know that the bunkers are rolled to compact them, then just the surface layer raked?)

In the early session only two players had failed to find the green and they had hit and rolled back. In the afternoon six out of the first nine never even reached it including Monty (bunker, bad out and rolled back, made 5). Worst approach; under hit or under clubbed badly - Carbrera!

To see all the course you need two full days, yes you could follow one group but by staying at one good hole you can see the players, Westwood, Rose, and the rest. So two days and a little of each on each day.

A word on the gallery. What a difference from the US. The overall attitude is 'impress me'. Leave your approach short, three-putt, stony silence; long two-putt on a par four - (well, I can do that) polite ripple; good approach, birdie or save - now that's what we came for! and NO 'in da hole' or 'you da man'.

Go again - yes I think so despite my intense annoyance at not being able to use my camera (memories fade), so Matchplay in August I think.

and to top off the day - 10 minutes down the road for a meet with Homer at the Royal Ascott - a good day!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the run-down, Viscount.
Pity about Westwood, but he's off to the Wales open next week, We're intending going on the Friday. 20 mins from here, not so many big names but low prices and smaller crowds.
Anyone else going?

AliB

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wilf,

if you're going on Sunday have a look at Andres Romero if you get the chance. I watched him live at the Scottish Open 2 years ago and, as a relative unkown at the time, he astounded me. Not only does he putt like a god but he bashes his 3 wood well past Westwood's drives. Exciting player and likeable to boot.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too am going on sunday. Out of interest viscount did they confiscate your mobile? I have been warned that they mgiht well do this and having not been to a tournamnet before I don't know what to expect, and others have told me that it varies between events.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Viscount,this is a perfect account of anyones first day at Wentworth.
So glad you will go again,as you will enjoy it much more and have an understanding of what you are seeing.

I would urge all of us attending to spend the majority of their time around the range and putting green.
Wentworth is not a natural stadium course but choose your spots carefully (left of first,behind second,back left of third,etc.) and you will get a real shot of these gods of golf.
Thanks for a lovely recount of a top day.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Wilf,

if you're going on Sunday have a look at Andres Romero if you get the chance. I watched him live at the Scottish Open 2 years ago and, as a relative unkown at the time, he astounded me. Not only does he putt like a god but he bashes his 3 wood well past Westwood's drives. Exciting player and likeable to boot.

A watched him on the practice ground at the belfry two years ago. He's only a little fella, but boy does he get through the ball. I'm always amazed how quick their hips are through the ball.