Wedges, Bounce, Grind

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone for you contributions. The answer, it seems, as always is practice, rather than new clubs. Where is the fun in that!!!

I'd still like to understand what the "Grind" is all about.

Go to the titleist/vokey website and you get a little insight in to what the grinds are and for.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go to the titleist/vokey website and you get a little insight in to what the grinds are and for.
different grinds are usually for particular shots .
Phil Mickelson will have a particular grind for his wedges as he likes the parachute shot so the bounce is ground down to best open the face.
Where a player who plays mainly links golf will have his ground to play from tight lies.

You tube will explain this better than me.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you been and had a wedge fitting ? I recently decided on revamping my wedge selection and had a fitting for wedges. This looks into equalising the gaps in what you have and selecting clubs by determined usage. I had a pre-conceived idea of the gaps I needed, but after testing found that they wouldn't have worked. So now I have a 56 and 60 on order, to go with my 50 GW. The fitting is followed up with on course testing to tweak lies/grinds, if necessary. Looking forward to them arriving.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that still leaves you 1 club between a driver and your 4 iron - which some might find restricting!

Then again much will depend on the course you play as much as how you play it. As an example I would expect to play 0 normal shots with any wedge on my course in normal conditions, but I play many courses where I seem to use wedges for approach shots quite frequently.

I think a good 4 wood fixes this

Drop 3 and a 5