Wedges bounce /grind

TigerBear

Visit site
Time for a new set of wedges so doing a lot of reading.

Turns out for my swing and typical home course conditions my PW (45 degree) and LW (60 degree) have the totally wrong bounce and grind set up.

Do you know the bounce and grind of your wedges? Is it something you even consider?

eddie_1878

Visit site

Turns out for my swing and typical home course conditions my PW (45 degree) and LW (60 degree) have the totally wrong bounce and grind set up.

Do you know the bounce and grind of your wedges? Is it something you even consider?

I’m aware of my bounces and have an idea of what a higher bounce will give me but I’m very much in the bracket whereby I’m looking for something middle of the road/neutral….safe in other words!

Would hate to buy a club I can only use on one particular lie. I have space for another wedge (already have 3) but feel I’d benefit from a LW for when I’m short-sided. Personally I’d want a bit of freedom on the scenarios I could use that club, both on my course and others.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I do and have known this for years . Sometimes the wedges in the bag get changed just because course conditions have changed.

Never particularly bothered to check a PW though, just use what came with the set.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s become much harder over the years to figure out what works for you due to the multitude of grinds. There once again is no industry standard.
Wedges are so so important that it’s worth while getting fit for them.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

If you use your PW as part of your set the bounce is fine. Or is your 9, 8, .. also wrong.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play where there is lots of pot bunkers and heavy sand. I was struggling to get out of them. I bought a 58* with low bounce (6) and can now get out of them Okay. Got out of 2 today, both where the ball was a foot and a half from the wall and I was standing where the lip was chest high.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Bounce isn't something I'd thought about, until I got fitted at Precison Golf for wedges. The first thing he said when he saw my Cleveland 588s were, "how old are they?" 10 year old wedges apparently aren't great! ? Proven when I only got 4000rpm off the GW, same as a 4 iron!
He then looked aghast at the bounce of my SW! 14° was awful for me and the course I play and when explained, it made an awful lot of sense why I hated bunkers.
Went for Ping Glide Forged in 50°/6, 55°/6 and 60°/8, all with altered swingweights too. Very happy with the wedge setup now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
14 degrees of bounce on your Sand? o_O

Take it your home course bunkers are very deep, fluffy sand?
Yes, deep pot bunkers. When I had 56/10 I didn't always get out first time,now 58/14 I'm not convinced the loft is a factor, it's the bounce. Even been complemented on my bunker play last couple of drawn comps I've played. A vast improvement.

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve got a 56:12 and a 60:06 — I feel like the mix of low/high bounce is ideal…though my aim is to use the 56 mostly and get used to (get good) with that

Also got a 50:08 and then a 45PW which is basically part of my iron set and what I see as effectively a 10 iron

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure what bounce mine are, can't really remember. Probably somewhere in the middle. As for grind - absolutely no idea. Not even sure what it means.

Boomy

Visit site
I’m a surface scuffer, rather than a divot digger so I play low bounce wedges. Going to get fitted for a new set this winter as my gaps are all way out since getting the new irons.