Waterproofs

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just found the remains of my FJ waterproof jacket in the tumbler - looks like scrunched up cling film! :mad:

Now I'm on the look out for some new ones, and wondered about how good GALVIN GREEN are - do they warrant that hefty price tag?

If anyone has experience with them could they share them.

D

Deleted member 15344

Galvin Green are superb waterproofs , gortex and very well made - but you need to look after them , wash them with the right stuff and then tumble dry them

But the FJ LTS are very good as well

https://www.function18.com/collecti...yjoys-tour-lts-rain-jacket-95018-black-marine

I also have the hydroknit trousers and jacket which are a bit lighter - trousers can be worn as normal trousers etc

There are always seem deals for last years Galvin Greens on Fucntion 18 etc

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm seriously wondering......I haven't had Gortex in quite a while....but you had to treat them like it was gold bullion, back in the "old days". Maybe things have been improved.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a Goretex GG jacket 10-12 years ago. It has never let a drop of water in, absolutely brilliant. Zips still work perfectly, it looks great still.

The downside, it is a little stiff and not the easiest to swing freely in. Bear in mind my jacket is old and they may have improved the tech.

I won some vouchers in an open last year and bought myself a Sunderland jacket as a replacement, that is what was in ths shop and j had been thinking about changing. Much softer, quieter and easy to move in. Thanks to lockdown I've yet to try it in bad weather but their reputation is strong and it has a lifetime warranty.

Ultimately GG gear is top notch but I would recommend trying one on to see how you find it on you. My GG is now used for walking the dog and similar where swinging your arms about isn't relevant ?

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought my first pair of Galvin Green waterproof trousers and jacket about 12 years ago. I still use the jacket but when I bought a replacement pair of trousers, I gave the trousers to my youngest son about 3 years ago as he takes the same size and I knew he could not afford any for golf.
Yesterday, he came round to do some jet washing on our patio and what was he wearing - the GG trousers. They do need a wash but still waterproof. Apparently, he uses them for work and golf!

RichA

Visit site
UA Goretex jacket I bought last year was brilliant in downpours this autumn and winter, as were the Craghoppers waterproof breathable Kiwi trousers, and they aren't over trousers.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought some GG trousers last year for £200 just because I'd always wanted a pair. Yeah they are great, are they any better than a decent pair half the price? Probably not to be honest.

I've been toying with buying a jacket too, but I also like to change what I'm wearing on the course. I feel that if I spent large amounts on a jacket I'd be obliged to keep wearing it year after year. Who wants to be that old guy everyone recognises by the same jacket he's been wearing since the year dot? ??

You’re playing golf, not walking the catwalk ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kjus appear to be the new hot make for waterproofs, makes GG stuff seem cheap by comp, a couple of guys i know have it and say its much thinner tham all the other makes and scretches more.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My nearly 20 year old Glenmuir troosers and Proquip jacket have had more use in the last six months on local walks than playing golf in the last six years.
I got caught in an absolute downpour a couple of weeks ago and ......yes they are still waterproof.(y)
Black jacket is starting to fade a bit but troosers are still like new.