Waterproof socks

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Recently purchased some Puma Ignites which are great but unfortunately not waterproof. Would be a waste if I couldn’t use them through the wet days.

I’m looking at waterproof socks to get round this.

Anyone use them?

Please advise

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I use them. There are a few brands out there, and some will recommend Sealskin though I have never tried them. I got two pairs of waterproof socks from Aldi and they have been excellent, and half the price of the Sealskin. Of course, they only come in from time to time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sealskinz for me. I have a lighter, summer pair and a standard heavier pair for winter. They feel a bit odd at first but they do the job 100%. It means you stop worrying about how waterproof your shoes are.

They are not cheap but they last so see it as an investment in your golf. When you rationalise it, they are about the price many people pay for 12 golf balls that you only have temporary ownership of :LOL:

yandabrown

Visit site
I have SealSkinz which are great but do feel like a plastic bag trapped inside 2 thin socks. I also have some Otter socks that also work great and feel a little more normal. I now no longer worry about the small splits in my shoes :)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another SealSkinz fan. I use them for golf, mountain biking and hill walking in boggy conditions. They are the best but I’ve found they can wear through or puncture easily if you’re not careful around the toe nails.

There is a downside, like all waterproofs they can trap sweat in certain conditions so you can still suffer dampness but as they remain warm (wet suit effect) it’s not too unpleasant.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't a pair of waterproof shoes be a better option ?
I've tried waterproof socks, yes your feet stay dry but your shoes end up smelling like a dead otter after a couple of weeks.
Yeah this. Rather than having one pair of socks I have to fish out whenever it might rain, I just have two pairs of golf shoes - trainer style ones for the summer and waterproof grippier ones for the winter and wet days. Job done.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Serious question. I have waterproof FJ boots and normal socks or thermal if it’s parky.
would you wear waterproof socks with non waterproof shoes. Which begs the question why?

D

Deleted member 16999

Wouldn't a pair of waterproof shoes be a better option ?
I've tried waterproof socks, yes your feet stay dry but your shoes end up smelling like a dead otter after a couple of weeks.
Never had a problem shoes smelling after wearing waterproof socks, surely if you dry your shoes out when they get that wet there wouldn’t be an issue?

D

Deleted member 16999

Serious question. I have waterproof FJ boots and normal socks or thermal if it’s parky.
would you wear waterproof socks with non waterproof shoes. Which begs the question why?
Some waterproof socks are also thermal, they also come in different types of thickness depending on activity or time of year.

maxy33

Visit site
Having suffered with this for a while I bit the bullet and bought some Sealskinz socks and they are excellent.
For the first time in god knows how long, my feet were bone dry after a round.

As someone mentioned, they felr a bit weird when I put them on (hard to describe, but almost like your toes couldn't stretch out in them like normal socks, when the obviously could) but once I had my shoes on I never noticed this feeling again.

I would definitely recommend them.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wear them as the so called waterproof Footjoys I have aren't. Shoes are too good to discard and just outside warranty. I tend to wear a thin cotton sock underneath them to stop any sweating - works OK for me.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Sealskinz wearer here too, usually only in the winter with my winter spikes. The spikes are a couple of years old now and OK most of the time but can leak a bit in very wet conditions, the socks just ensure my feet stay dry.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My shoes are waterproof, but if walking in the long grass (obviously looking for somebody else's ball, not mine :whistle:) then the water can come over the top of the shoe. My waterproof socks don't smell after use.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear them as the so called waterproof Footjoys I have aren't. Shoes are too good to discard and just outside warranty. I tend to wear a thin cotton sock underneath them to stop any sweating - works OK for me.

How long out of warranty? I've had shoes replaced before now once past warranty without any issues. Did it direct through the Proshop where I bought them.