Wasps nest

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't know the ruling, but if it happened to me I would declare it unplayable, leave it where it was and play from the point of the previous shot.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get your bike clips on sharpish.
Sorry ladies.

On a more serious note, at one of my old clubs we once had a marked out GUR area around an adders nest adjacent to a green.
[they can bite the minute they are born you know]

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the ruling when your ball lands on or next to a wasps nest?

1-4/10
Dangerous Situation; Rattlesnake or Bees Interfere with Play

Q.A player's ball comes to rest in a situation dangerous to the player, e.g., near a live rattlesnake or a bees' nest. In equity (Rule 1-4), does the player have any options in addition to playing the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceeding under Rule 26 or 28?

A.Yes. It is unreasonable to expect the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair to require the player to incur a penalty under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable).

If the ball lay through the green, the player may, without penalty, drop a ball within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

read the decision in full re ball in hazard etc etc - basically the situation is treated under rule 25

so the only real question is whether the proximity represents a danger

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had this problem last night playing my course, our par 3 4th has quite a steep slope from the front of the green, my ball landed just short of the green and when i got to it i noticed what i thought were flies buzzing around it, it was only when i adressed the ball there was hole the size of the golf ball to the left of me that went under the green and was swarming with wasps that were going in and out.

Safe to say i quicky moved my ball and dropped it a good 10 yards away and even then they were still buzzing around me.

I will know next time not to come up short of the green!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had this problem last night playing my course, our par 3 4th has quite a steep slope from the front of the green, my ball landed just short of the green and when i got to it i noticed what i thought were flies buzzing around it, it was only when i adressed the ball there was hole the size of the golf ball to the left of me that went under the green and was swarming with wasps that were going in and out.

Safe to say i quicky moved my ball and dropped it a good 10 yards away and even then they were still buzzing around me.

I will know next time not to come up short of the green!

Prime example of a situation where finding a safe area to take a 1 club drop isn't always easy. If the nest has been disturbed near the green and the wasps were going mad then it would probably be grounds enough to call the committee and request a suspension of play!

Did you hit the deck?

[video=youtube;PiyR_Bmk3E4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiyR_Bmk3E4[/video]

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's less than 2 weeks since I asked a FC where all the wasps were this year. I found out on Monday when I had to abandon cutting the grass near some pear trees at the back of my garden - that's where they all were.

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's less than 2 weeks since I asked a FC where all the wasps were this year. I found out on Monday when I had to abandon cutting the grass near some pear trees at the back of my garden - that's where they all were.

they are "Drunk" wasps im told, the worst of the lot, sting you for the hell of it.
seriously though, the nurse told me sept/oct is the worst time for these drunk wasps, their years work is done , its getting colder, they are getting groggy, and are not sociable.