Was I reasonable...?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I don't take a practise swing - once I have warmed up before the first tee shot of the day, I don't feel the need for a practise swing. I don't see that anyone else, including you, needs to either.

Hmm! I like to make a practice swing so that I can visualise the shot I am about to make. It helps a lot especially if you want to shape the ball, it also stretches you out a bit. I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to do, most tour pros do it and it should only take seconds.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What rubbish - not all golf needs a scorecard signing.

You have quoted me out of context. You can of course play on your own......it's just that you will always have to choose your time as if the course is busy you will just get in the way and be catching up with groups every hole. If these groups are to let the lone golfer through the course will grind to a standstill for everyone but the lone golfer.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm! I like to make a practice swing so that I can visualise the shot I am about to make. It helps a lot especially if you want to shape the ball, it also stretches you out a bit. I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to do, most tour pros do it and it should only take seconds.

My attempt at irony obviously missed the mark. Although I genuinely do not take a practise swing, I have visualised the shot. The point I was attempting to make was that the OP declared that 4 practise strokes were completely unnecessary as he took less than 4. I was pointing out that, from my point of view, he was guilty of the same misdemeanour.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have quoted me out of context. You can of course play on your own......it's just that you will always have to choose your time as if the course is busy you will just get in the way and be catching up with groups every hole. If these groups are to let the lone golfer through the course will grind to a standstill for everyone but the lone golfer.

Yet more rubbish. You will not accept that a lone golfer has standing on the course. If you let a single golfer through, he will quickly disappear. If you don't, etiquette escapes you - I assume that you will not call a 2-ball through if you are in a 3-ball.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yet more rubbish. You will not accept that a lone golfer has standing on the course. If you let a single golfer through, he will quickly disappear. If you don't, etiquette escapes you - I assume that you will not call a 2-ball through if you are in a 3-ball.

If a single player caught up with a group i was in I would always call them through it's just that we would probably all be giving each other (not the player) a look which was saying "weird". If I was in a three ball and a two ball caught up they would get waved through. To be honest I can't remember the last time I was in a group that needed to wave anyone through. I play on weekend mornings and the course is generally busy with fourballs. If a twoball came through they would just spend the whole time catching other groups up.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you look at singletons as "weird"??

Would you also think they were weird if you were in 2/3 ball and they asked to join you?

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why do you look at singletons as "weird"??

Would you also think they were weird if you were in 2/3 ball and they asked to join you?

It's not the person that is weird, it's the fact that they have gone out on their own amongst mixed sized groups. Usually someone on their own would go to the pro/starter and see about getting to join in with a group and they would nearly always be accomodated within a short time. Normal etiquette would be not to go out as a single amongst groups. As I said earlier it's nice to do after the course has cleared in the evening or early morning when it is accepted and people realise that you are taking advantage of an empty course to hit two balls or practice the odd putt without taking the mickey. There will not be a golf club in the world where this is not the standard and normal practice.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dog you do spout some pretentious rubbish. Its only golf with a card in your hand(guess you mean if its not a comp then its not golf). Single golfers seem to be a pariah in your eyes(even though they pay the same membership/green fees). Stop being such a snob(no wonder some people have certain views on golf and the people that play it).

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dog you do spout some pretentious rubbish. Its only golf with a card in your hand(guess you mean if its not a comp then its not golf). Single golfers seem to be a pariah in your eyes(even though they pay the same membership/green fees). Stop being such a snob(no wonder some people have certain views on golf and the people that play it).

Snob - c'mon how do you work that out?

I have nothing against single golfers - I do it myself most weeks in the summer.

The point re the scoring format - all I was saying is there is not an established format for single golf and that single golf is always just one against the course.

I have played many rounds of non competitive golf but not many that we don't keep the score in some way and then decide who has won at the end. Not always with a card as often it's matchplay.

Perhaps my views are a bit old fashioned, I accept that. I prefer the traditional aspects of the game. We're a dying bunch especially on the forums here.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I should quit while your behind Dog.

If someone goes to the course as a lone golfer he has no obligation to consider what other groups are on the course, ettiquette doesn't come into it! Under the rules, he is entitled to be called through as he now has "standing" . If you were a 2 or 3 ball you could invite him to join you but it's not weird at all that he is out there.

There was a lone golfer about to tee off on our first a few weeks ago when my group arrived to play a 4BBB semi final. I politely said to him that if he was looking for a game that there would be some groups in the clubhouse probably looking for someone to make up a 4 ball. He said that he had just joined and wanted to learn the layout before playing with others, no problem, and off he went and all was well with the world. I do hope that the player looks for games so that he gets to know people but thats his perogative!

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think most will see where I'm coming from on this. Point taken on the standing given by the rules. It's stopped raining - I'm going to the golf club now on my own!!!! Back to see Murray beat Federer - anyone want to argue about that? LOL

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dog. You may be the nicest man in the world. I don't know, I can only comment on the impression that is given here, right or wrong. I have played golf for 50 years and have no problem with tradition. For example etiquette, dress code. But some of the old fashioned views have no part with tradition.

I would have thought golf as a sport/pastime. Was the player against the course. More than against each other (match play excepted). As you can not really influence another players game. As you can in other ball games.

I have just joined a new club. As such, I am going out mainly mid-week on my own. To learn the lay out. Before putting cards in for H/c(had a long lay off so its lapsed). Also don't want to join a 4 ball and hold them up all the way round as I don't know where I'm going and still a bit rusty in the swing department.

Last edited:

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would have thought golf as a sport/pastime. Was the player against the course. More than against each other (match play excepted). As you can not really influence another players game. As you can in other ball games.

That's why we have handicaps to level up the ability so that we can compare scores and decide who has won. It's everyman against the course to see who has the best score against each other. That's my last word on this thread.

SharkAttack

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No you weren't rude as long as you were polite. But how many shots doesn't matter, it's how. I would much rather be behind a couple of old guys hitting it 100yds down the middle and not wasting time than behind a couple of young scratch golfers hitting it 300yds down the middle, 10 practice swings 4 club changes and then play their shot and then 5 minutes each lining up putts.

A happy medium is what is required, people should learn to be patient when the people in front are looking for a ball or playing a bit slower than you and learn to play a bit quicker if required if a 2 shot gap appears between you and the group in front. If you can't play quick enough then don't use the low handicappers "None shall pass" motto. It doesn't matter how good you are if you are holding up play then let others through who can.

Shark