Walton GC Chesterfield

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Managed to get hold of a fourball voucher for £60 so me and 3 pals turned up today. I put the voucher in the bag on Saturday and moved the golf bag on Sunday into car garage and got rid of all the rubbish in the bag. Got to the course today and said voucher was missing. Yup I had thrown said voucher in the bin ( since found). In a nutshell, I was shitting bricks. The pro in the shop was brilliant and remembered the conversation we had when I booked it. He let us play with no dramas.
Quite frankly the course was fantastic. It was just gorgeous. uphill par threes 340 ish, downhill par fours 440. Every hole and green Differant. We all loved it. Front nine 18 points. Back nine Rammel. The course is 6200 off the whites, some 600 yards shorter than ours. It was an eye opener playing a driver and 8 iron into a green, rather than a driver 3 wood at ours. Sat in the 19th after, I worked out I had used every Club in the bag during the round. That's a first. Ave said it before and I will say it again. Distance as a hazard is a lazy cheap way for a hazard in a course setup. Walton has it spot on. Next year am off the yellow pots.
Many thanks to all at Walton.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Real nice track is Walton. My MiL lives about 5mins drives from it and if we have to spend more time up there as my MiL gets into her 90sand needs us about then I may well to out a country membership.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Real nice track is Walton. My MiL lives about 5mins drives from it and if we have to spend more time up there as my MiL gets into her 90sand needs us about then I may well to out a country membership.

Apparantly they had a counties comp there last week, and captains day on Saturday. The course was in top condition.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, couldn't agree more with your comments about distance as a defence of a course. Pleased you enjoyed it, sounds a good course to go to.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Tashy, couldn't agree more with your comments about distance as a defence of a course. Pleased you enjoyed it, sounds a good course to go to.

LT, I don't know if it because I am not a big hitter, but my course, I can use driver then 3 wood on a lot/ most of the par 4's. Here, it was driver then iron, with the exception of one par four at 440yd. SI 1. It was more than refreshing. Even drives into trees, take your punishment, chip out and there's a chance of hitting the green. Just loved it. The course is over 100 yrs old and gotta say the old uns knew what they were doing when they designed these courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy, my course sounds similar to yours, our game similar as well. Off the whites the shortest par 4 is 399. That's driver, 3 wood/hybrid then an iron of some sort. Every par 4 😢. I don't play in white tee comps.

I played with Rudebhouy at his course recently and it was great. Shape to the holes, not just length, you needed course management and I went through the bag. Pro's would eat it alive but we aren't pro's. It's an older course than mine so it was designed before tech made course designers obsess about length, not shape. It's lovely to play courses like that, a pleasure.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Tashy, my course sounds similar to yours, our game similar as well. Off the whites the shortest par 4 is 399. That's driver, 3 wood/hybrid then an iron of some sort. Every par 4 😢. I don't play in white tee comps.

I played with Rudebhouy at his course recently and it was great. Shape to the holes, not just length, you needed course management and I went through the bag. Pro's would eat it alive but we aren't pro's. It's an older course than mine so it was designed before tech made course designers obsess about length, not shape. It's lovely to play courses like that, a pleasure.

Amen to that 👍

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Even better using the clubs from that age, give vintage a go! :)

Tashyboy

Visit site
Even better using the clubs from that age, give vintage a go! :)
We let two old guys/seniors through on the tenth. It was as good as any place in the world to sit and watch them hit there drives down the hill. One guy hit it 220. The other just seemed to tickle it 250. First guy lays up short of the dyke with an 80yd third approach. The other guy goes for it and is left with a 20 yd chip to pin. Guy plays his 80 yd pitch to 5 yd and two putts for a five. Second guy chips and two putts. Hole halved. We never saw them til the clubhouse. They were playing in th seniors comp. the guy who had the longer drive and the lower hcap lost 3 and 1. He said of his PP he has a seriously brilliant short game. His course management is fantastic. Always plays the shots he knows he can play. We told them we saw them playing the 10th and hole halved, but no so it seems. The guy who had a 220 drive had a shot on that hole and used it well knowing a five could well win him the hole as it is a difficult par four. It is that sort of course where you had to use your shots. Playing it with Vintage clubs. I could use all my shots on the front nine.

Tashyboy

Visit site
2 Minutes from me and don't play it enough, Matlock nearby is a fun challenge to as it's very rolling but Walton is the superior course.

BS, was talking to a couple of guys at our place, they have started saying sod it to the nine hole comps at our place and going to Horsley lodge midweek. It is £20 with a county card 😳 They reckon it is a steel.

D

Deleted member 1147

I played a match at Matlock on Monday night, it's a decent track in good condition. Walton's ok as well.
I would never bother with Horsley, it's poorly designed, and if what I've heard is true, has totally lost it's greens (which were it's only real selling point in the past)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I played a match at Matlock on Monday night, it's a decent track in good condition. Walton's ok as well.
I would never bother with Horsley, it's poorly designed, and if what I've heard is true, has totally lost it's greens (which were it's only real selling point in the past)

Unfortunately they had to recently (past week or so) verticut I believe and sand the greens which has just took some quality away, short term.

They have recovered well considering but were running beautifully and slick before this.

Needs must though they had some review of the greens and thatch levels were higher than they wanted.

Playing your track in a couple of weeks I believe, always enjoy kedleston, best knock in Derbyshire in my eyes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
2 Minutes from me and don't play it enough, Matlock nearby is a fun challenge to as it's very rolling but Walton is the superior course.

FYI - if you haven'rt seen - good membership deals up Stanedge GC with the new retired LPGA professional owner - doing loads of work on the clubhouse, course and facilities

Tashyboy

Visit site

Outta interest James, I ogled the keddleston course when I visited Keddleston hall last year. CN you play your place on a county card from Notts at a cheaper rate. Cheers mah man.

D

Deleted member 1147

Afraid I don’t know Tashy, but if you call the pro shop they’d definitely advise: 01332 841685