walkers not allowed on the course

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a tee time booked, via teeofftimes, at Selsdon Park on Saturday and once the booking was confirmed I called the pro shop to reserve a buggy as my OH was coming along (she is still learning so she wasn't playing but knows the etiquette). I explained that there would be 1 player and 1 non player. nothing was said so all ok in my mind.

anyway, I booked in at the pro shop and signed for the buggy when the pro said "is your friend going out with you?" after saying she's OH and yes she was, I was told that walkers aren't allowed as their insurance doesn't cover them.

I mentioned that when I called to reserve the buggy I said 1 golfer and 1 non and that I wasn't told this would be a problem - when they checked the booking system there was no mention of my call, yet a buggy was reserved!!!!!

I was told that they couldn't make an exception even if I signed a waiver re the insurance but then I was told the members wouldn't be happy to see a non golfer on the course!!!

After playing Walton Heath and The London Club with my OH walking/driving a buggy, I found Selsdon's stance strange.

Does anyone else's club have a rule like this or were Selsdon hoping I would stump up another green fee so my OH could join me?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was told that they couldn't make an exception even if I signed a waiver re the insurance but then I was told the members wouldn't be happy to see a non golfer on the course!!!

Which I'm afraid I don't believe. Shop trying to come up with an excuse for what I do not know. And so you OH becomes your caddy! Then what? Nah - arrant nonsense being displayed by them all round.

Besides on insurance - I'd have thought that it's the player hitting the ball who is insured - not the person hit.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Which I'm afraid I don't believe. Shop trying to come up with an excuse for what I do not know. And so you OH becomes your caddy! Then what? Nah - arrant nonsense being displayed by them all round.

Besides on insurance - I'd have thought that it's the player hitting the ball who is insured - not the person hit.
Perhaps there's an insurance issue with travelling in the buggy rather than simply being on the course.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sorry but some golf clubs really don't have any common sense! They certainly go the right way to stop people coming!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I assume you got a refund or did your OH have to sit in bar for 4 hours?

I have played other courses with my OH and 2 girls and there have been issues with them either being with me or driving the buggy"

I got a refund from teeofftimes who were great about it.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would think with your OH learning they would be a future customer so a bit daft.... and yeah she could be your caddy so sounds nonsense

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had this once in Wales however they were happy for us to pay a few quid to cover the insurance of our non playing girl friends.

D

Deleted member 17920

sorry but some golf clubs really don't have any common sense! They certainly go the right way to stop people coming!
This, nail on the head, that's another customer they will have lost. Brilliant.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doff my cap to anyone who can get their other half to come round and watch them play golf for 18 holes. I have seen this at my club and you get the knowing smile from the other golfers, "young love". Don't see the problem myself. Golf is meant to be social and fun isn't it? With regards to the well made point from Oddsocks surely you could get around that by restricting 2 buggies per group.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If its good enough for St Andrews to allow people to walk with you I am sure other clubs should too! seen loads of singles or twosomes with a partner/friend walking with them. Must admit this was not on the old course but sure it would still be ok.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems strange. As has been said, ins will cover third party loss / injury so that is b/s.

Perhaps worried your OH will make a two ball when out of sight?

Seems petty in the extreme to me, glad you got your refund and guess will spend your hard earned elsewhere in future!

S

p.s. As aside, remember my sister drove buggy while my brother in law played when they were on holiday in posh resort. Made mistake of thinking drinkies in buggy cool box were FoC - mahoosive Bill for empty cool box by 18th and whopping hangover in afternoon!

Last edited:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i entered a comp at a course in Blackpool,(in a park dont remember name ) my wife came as my caddy and we got told she would have to pay a full green fee and have an up to date h/c cert,as she doesnt play this would be hard,told them to stick their comp and whent to DEVERE accross the rd,18 holes in a buggy with her driving and a fab evening meal,loads of brownie points.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID and I went to Ashbury Manor many years ago. She'd just started playing and we were with another couple we knew. She managed to break her wrist on the first night ten pin bowling and spent the rest of the week driving a buggy one armed and getting out in the fresh air. Not one quibble from the staff about insurance issues