Walker Cup team announced....

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Great to see fellow Northumberland man Chris Paisley making it especially as I thought he may have blown it after 1st round exit last week and also 2 Scots in the team......hope we can put it right up the Yanks!

NEWS RELEASE ISSUED BY THE SCOTTISH GOLF UNION
Scotland’s World and European Champions Gavin Dear and Wallace Booth have been named in the final Great Britain and Ireland Walker Cup squad announced by the R&A this morning.
Ten players have been selected from the home unions for the match against the USA at Merion Golf Club, Pennsylvania, on 12 – 13 September.
Dear, who is currently ranked 12th in the world amateur golf rankings said after the announcement, “I am very pleased to be part of the final line up for the GB&I Walker Cup squad. After winning the World’s last year I knew I had to win one of the big amateur titles this season and claiming the Irish Amateur and then more recently the Europeans I had hoped I had done enough, so I am delighted.
“I have a number of close friends in the US who rarely get to see me compete, so it will be nice knowing that they will come along to watch and support me. My club has been a great support, so this is good news for Murrayshall as well as for our Area – Perth & Kinross, having two Scots both from Perthshire in the Walker Cup side is quite something.”
The squad will make a trip to Valderrama Golf Club in southern Spain on August 9-12 as part of advance preparations for the match.
This group will ultimately be named as the confirmed team subject to no British or Irish player winning the US Amateur Championship (to be held at Southern Hills, Tulsa, on 24 – 30 August) and claiming automatic selection to the team via that route.
The announcement of the final team of ten to compete at Merion will immediately follow the conclusion of the US Amateur, or the point in time at which no eligible British or Irish player remains in that Championship.
The ten players in the squad are as follows:

Wallace Booth (Comrie)
Gavin Dear (Murrayshall)
Tommy Fleetwood (Formby Hall)
Luke Goddard (Hendon)
Matt Haines (Rochester & Cobham Park)
Stiggy Hodgson (Sunningdale)
Sam Hutsby (Liphook)
Niall Kearney (Royal Dublin)
Chris Paisley (Stocksfield)
Dale Whitnell (Five Lakes)

Squad reserves
1. Paul O’Hara (Colville Park)
2. Rhys Enoch (Truro)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I followed Gavin Dear around Muirfield (on the fairways) when he comfortably won his match against England in the recent home international matches there. Good player, though he has a bit of the Monty about him weight-wise. Here's hoping the lads can bring the trophy home this time.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good to see two Scots make it ,think Paul O'Hara will be dissapointed to be a reserve after making the final of the Scottish amateur last week,some seriously good players have missed out Keir McNicoll +4, Kevin McAlpine +4 so the standard must be unbelviable.
The guy Paisley have played his course Stocksfield nice course and one of the best welcome's and looking after we've had on our travels from the staff nothing was to much bother.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Great to see fellow Northumberland man Chris Paisley making it especially as I thought he may have blown it after 1st round exit last week and also 2 Scots in the team......hope we can put it right up the Yanks!

NEWS RELEASE ISSUED BY THE SCOTTISH GOLF UNION
Scotland’s World and European Champions Gavin Dear and Wallace Booth have been named in the final Great Britain and Ireland Walker Cup squad announced by the R&A this morning.
Ten players have been selected from the home unions for the match against the USA at Merion Golf Club, Pennsylvania, on 12 – 13 September.
Dear, who is currently ranked 12th in the world amateur golf rankings said after the announcement, “I am very pleased to be part of the final line up for the GB&I Walker Cup squad. After winning the World’s last year I knew I had to win one of the big amateur titles this season and claiming the Irish Amateur and then more recently the Europeans I had hoped I had done enough, so I am delighted.
“I have a number of close friends in the US who rarely get to see me compete, so it will be nice knowing that they will come along to watch and support me. My club has been a great support, so this is good news for Murrayshall as well as for our Area – Perth & Kinross, having two Scots both from Perthshire in the Walker Cup side is quite something.”
The squad will make a trip to Valderrama Golf Club in southern Spain on August 9-12 as part of advance preparations for the match.
This group will ultimately be named as the confirmed team subject to no British or Irish player winning the US Amateur Championship (to be held at Southern Hills, Tulsa, on 24 – 30 August) and claiming automatic selection to the team via that route.
The announcement of the final team of ten to compete at Merion will immediately follow the conclusion of the US Amateur, or the point in time at which no eligible British or Irish player remains in that Championship.
The ten players in the squad are as follows:

Wallace Booth (Comrie)
Gavin Dear (Murrayshall)
Tommy Fleetwood (Formby Hall)
Luke Goddard (Hendon)
Matt Haines (Rochester & Cobham Park)
Stiggy Hodgson (Sunningdale)
Sam Hutsby (Liphook)
Niall Kearney (Royal Dublin)
Chris Paisley (Stocksfield)
Dale Whitnell (Five Lakes)

Squad reserves
1. Paul O’Hara (Colville Park)
2. Rhys Enoch (Truro)

Just looking back at a few things and this post caught my attention, not only because the forum lost a wonderful character in Dodger who was a great source of information and generosity but mainly looking at team. Amazing how some have really kicked on, mainly Fleetwood, others like Paisley have had a "successful" career yet others have totally disappeared.

If I'm not mistaken Gavin Dear has walked away from golf altogether.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lol when i saw that pop up i thought he was back..

I didn't always see eye to eye with Alan, but he as you say was a good source of Knowledge and a nice guy.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Lol when i saw that pop up i thought he was back..

I didn't always see eye to eye with Alan, but he as you say was a good source of Knowledge and a nice guy.

Agreed but I think there may have been an agenda back then.

Look at the talent in that team that never "made it" isn't that incredible. Some must look back and wonder where it went wrong.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agreed but I think there may have been an agenda back then.

Look at the talent in that team that never "made it" isn't that incredible. Some must look back and wonder where it went wrong.
very true, stand out being Tommy. will have to check out the Yank team and see what they have done.

But just goes to show how hard it is to go from top Am to Pro

U

User62651

very true, stand out being Tommy. will have to check out the Yank team and see what they have done.

But just goes to show how hard it is to go from top Am to Pro

Interesting seeing this old thread, Rickie Fowler is the real success story of that US team, Peter Uihlein has done ok on European Tour I think. I've heard of Cameron Tringale too but he's lost his PGA tour card. Rest nowhere.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Paul oHara is making a very comfortable living on the tartan tour and occasionally doing europro tour events. I see Kevin Macalpine's name mentioned in the replies, he's probably earning more doing what he's doing now than he would've made on tour.

Wallace Booth is on the challenge tour but other than Tommy never heard of the rest.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Paul oHara is making a very comfortable living on the tartan tour and occasionally doing europro tour events. I see Kevin Macalpine's name mentioned in the replies, he's probably earning more doing what he's doing now than he would've made on tour.

Wallace Booth is on the challenge tour but other than Tommy never heard of the rest.

What is McAlpine doing? He was a very accomplished golfer back in the day but never see his name anymore.

D

Deleted member 15344

Chris Paisley has done well , won this season on the ET and some good finishes

Tailed off a little when he went over to states but think he might have squeezed into the PGA via the Web.com champs

Sam Hutsby has had a few comps on the ET but mainly on the challenge tour

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the strength of this thread I looked back on the 1995 teams at Porthcawl.

The USA players are virtually all nobodies now apart from Woods whilst three of the UK&I team went on to Ryder Cup standard.

D

Deleted member 15344

On the strength of this thread I looked back on the 1995 teams at Porthcawl.

The USA players are virtually all nobodies now apart from Woods whilst three of the UK&I team went on to Ryder Cup standard.
Chris Riley became a Ryder Cup player plus a PGA Tour winner

Notah Begay won 5 times on the PGA tour