Very tight course-Driving iron?

rogom3000

Visit site
Hey Guys, my home club is a very tight not long. I'm playing off 12 but can't get lower than this due to having to take a 5 iron off the tee. I'm a very good ball striker my shots tend to moonball and i play on a links course.I have a tendency to spray off line a bit with my woods. I've seen driving irons make a come back, if I could hit this 220 yards off the tee while keeping the ball low with no fear of losing a ball I have no doubt it would shave 4 shots off my average round! what do you guys think of driving irons? Or perhaps an alternative?

Cheers guys look forward to hearing your advice!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hey Guys, my home club is a very tight not long. I'm playing off 12 but can't get lower than this due to having to take a 5 iron off the tee. I'm a very good ball striker my shots tend to moonball and i play on a links course.I have a tendency to spray off line a bit with my woods. I've seen driving irons make a come back, if I could hit this 220 yards off the tee while keeping the ball low with no fear of losing a ball I have no doubt it would shave 4 shots off my average round! what do you guys think of driving irons? Or perhaps an alternative?

Personally I's be investing in lessons and learning how to hit your driver and fairway woods properly off the tee. Off 12 that has to be a big burden to carry hitting five irons off the tee. If you can get to grips with a driver or 3 wood it must open up more options not only on your own course but elsewhere. Of course a tight course requires a degree of respect but I'm sure there a several holes where the length a decent driver would give would really help

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Something like a 3 hybrid might be a good alternative. I hit mine pretty straight and a decent length (for me anyway).

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its not how, its how many. Course management is the key to successful golf.

Keeping the ball in play is always a good way to score, and I myself sometimes use a 5 hybrid to tee off on our tight par 5's.

But there is always that chance of getting on in 2, if I nail a driver. So it depends how well I'm hitting the ball.

I'd certainly work on the driving off the course and stick with the hybrid/ rescue until you can keep it in play.

Best of luck

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I carry an old Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron just for tee shots on tight holes. It's my "go to" club if distance isn't a real issue and I have to hit the fairway. Easy to hit and with run out goes 190-210 yards depending on the ground conditions/wind etc. Was having a bad time with the driver for a while last season particularly on our tough front 9 (OB a factor on 6 holes). Played a couple of rounds where I didn't hit driver until the 9th or even the 12th and scored much better. This restored my confidence and took pressure off my driving on the easier back 9. I can't ever see me playing without this option in the bag.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Time for some reality!

If you can't control the moonballs and 'have a tendency to spray off line a bit with my woods', then you are not really a 'very good ball striker'!

Sort the 3-wood out if you want a reliable distance and be on the fairway/semi! Also learn how to hit knock-down shots to stay under the wind!

Having said all that, a low loft rescue (16-18 degrees) can be used both as a 'driving iron' and from the fairway/semi. Finding the one that suits you can be a bit of a struggle, but there'll be at least 1 in the Adams range!

Another technique is to only use a 3/4 swing with the Driver when accuracy is more important than distance! You could well be surprised how little distance you actually lose - especially into the wind as it tends to be a considerably lower flight! Teeing it mid-height also helps as it flattens the swing/impact angle.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lessons and some mental adjustments.

Small target area to miss smaller and hitting towards that target positively rather than steering it "somewhere other than the right trees where I always go"

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a similar issue, my course isn't that short, but there aren't any holes I need to hit driver on to have a shot at making the green in regulation. The way I see it though, why drop my handicap to 12 (or whatever the figure may be) never using my driver, when if I wan't to progress past that I'll need to start learning to hit driver. Just fix it now and watch it tumble, within reason.