variations of slice

big_mean_bunny

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys,

not been on for a while but have had a terrible day today!

apologises but I tried to get a video at the range this evening however it didn't come out properly as it started to get dark as soon as I started so I will get one done either tomorrow on Sunday when I can get down during the day.

I have always been a bit of a slicer however I have really struggled with bad slicing this year with my driver and 3 wood, irons are fine however with my driver I either hit one of two shots.

1) - Drive starts out straight for the first 60-100 yards and then begins to drift right and lands with lots of side spin which take it further right

2) extreme unintentional fade/banana shot that starts left and again lands with lots of side spin.

With my 3 wood its not as pronounced and with less spin when it lands but still the same results so I know I must be doing something wrong to cut across the ball, however I have read so much now that I have confused myself and made things worse! Can anyone speculate as to what is causing so much of a slice and can anyone suggest anything I could try to begin to eliminate it?

was dreadful today, only made 1 out of 14 fairways on my round due to slicing and had 8 drops due to finding various out of bounds :(

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sound like what I was doing. Worked out well if the fairway sloped right to left and I managed to find it but that's about it.

1. Out to in swing path where you are returning club face near to square?

2. Out to in swing path with the face returning open?

Imagine ball as clock face. You want to hit it at 7 oclock and release through impact.

Also set up a physical barrier just beside the ball. Something like a pillow or empty bottle. This with force you to avoid an out to in swing plane as you don't want to hit the object.

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been working on this with my pro and the physical barrier is a great drill, when you are out on the course another good idea off the tee is to tee up next to an old divot mark and use that as a mental barrier which should promote a better swing and hopefully eliminatite the slice.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you understand what is going on? It's a path and face issue, both of which are going to need attention.

big_mean_bunny

Club Champion
Visit site
RGDave, in answer to your question, not really, With my irons I can always feel whats gone wrong when I hit a bad shot, however with my drive its like I just don't understand the mechanics of the shot.

thinking further today I am wondering if my right leg isn't staying firm enough. One of the reasons for not playing this year until last month was due to a knee injury and thinking back to my rounds and range work I am certainly not using my legs as much to push through as I was doing after my lessons and good form last year.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
however with my drive its like I just don't understand the mechanics of the shot.

This is what normally causes a slice.

cure12.jpg

As Dave says, you have to fix both the swin path and the club face.
Do you have a video of your swing please?

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently had the same problem with my driver- all irons going straight and driver going right, way right! My problem was with my driver setup! I was setting with the ball in line with left foot as your supposed to but problem was I was moving the club so it was perpendicular to the ground in line with my left leg! This meant my shoulders where aiming left of target which led to an out to in swing path! The other problem I had was overswinging so if I aim my shoulders properly and concentrate on a more compact swing I've straightened it up considerably!
Here's a few links that helped me:

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/video...h-Rory-McIlroy/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLX1W1YTe4

Hope that helps

big_mean_bunny

Club Champion
Visit site
cheers guys, I was meant to be going to the range to get a video for you however I played a pre season friendly today and someone on the other team went straight through both my legs with a double footed tackle and I can't actually walk very well right now.

straight red in a friendly! might be time to pack that sport in I think! ankle looks like it has a golf ball stuck inside it!