used car choice, head v heart. opinions welcomed.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
I currently have an 09 Toyota aygo, 13k on the clock, paying £80 a month on an 'options' type scheme. 2 more years left and then £2k left to pay. Very cheap to insure and tax. My dilema is whether to sell this and buy an older BMW 318-320. Admittedly itwould be 10 years old with around 80k+ and increased running costs, but its a nicer car to drive.
The way I look at it is im losing value on the toyota through depreciation and paying monthly ammounts for another 2 years and then have to find the final payment, or pay the same monthly ammount for an older car, lose less on depriciation but risk reliability issues and higher costs. I only do about 6k a year though.
Any views on the best option to take or experiences of owning 02, 03 plate 318's.
Cheers ,
John.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bmw bushes are rubbish, so suspension can be costly. Tyres are more expensive, and they will eat the rears. running costs will be a lot higher. Me? I wouldn't do it. Mrs mog has had about 10 BMs in a row, I've not been impressed by many of them.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bmw bushes are rubbish, so suspension can be costly. Tyres are more expensive, and they will eat the rears. running costs will be a lot higher. Me? I wouldn't do it. Mrs mog has had about 10 BMs in a row, I've not been impressed by many of them.

I would disagree. Got a 55 plate 320 coop and it's had one set of shocks and top mounts replaced last year. Had the car 6 years and except brakes and usual fluids it's the only part that's needed done. Still on the original exhaust and it's going strong.
That said, I have seen something else and am selling the Beemer.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
do not buy the bmw as this is about the millage the bmw will start t fall apart, nothing serious just anything with a rubber, bearings and exhaust.

iv done something similar to you more than once and i always regretted it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had 12 BMW's and i love them. however, your question, stick with the Toyota. much more sensible choice.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
my last car was an '04 3 series, i loved it but like most people have said expensive repairs...had a rear tyre pop, one garage nearby had a bridgestone for £265 or a pirelli for £295. bushes also went too, and the m sport side skirts seem to trap water in them, ended up with a few tiny rust spots before it went. it was great to drive but £80 to fill it up for 400 miles got kinda depressing too. chopped in for a 2 year old fiesta in the end.