United airlines "passenger re-accommodation"

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Incidentally, I certainly do not wish for this incident to be repeated but if the scenario happens again what do people suggest happens?

The pilot asks a specific passenger to leave the plane. The pilot is in charge of that plane, his/her word is law. The passenger refuses. Security are called, the passenger refuses. What next? I would imagine if the passenger is not removed then the pilot and crew will leave the plane and the flight is cancelled. Everyone loses. That plane and crew are then also in the wrong position for their next flight, more disruption.

It's okay to sit and say United should not bump anyone but it happens across the industry, it is part of the model. I don't condone the model but clearly there are reasons behind it, particularly in the US where planes are almost used like buses.

I'm sorry, but there is a world of difference between bumping a checked in passenger before they board & asking a seated passenger to leave. The latter just shouldn't be allowed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's an alternative scenario. Somebody from the United staff decided not to fly and the paying customer doesn't go through all this.

Apparently the staff were required to be in another location to join another flight. If they don't make that flight then the other plane does not leave, it gets cancelled.

D

Deleted Member 1156

He refused to leave. Security had to forcibly remove him. Had he accepted the situation and left there would be no issue but this bloke decided to be a grade 1 idiot. You don't mess about on aeroplanes and certainly not in America.

I think you are confusing a normal passenger with a potential terrorist. A doctor sitting peacefully in his seat waiting to go home to treat patients the following day is not what I would call a security risk and should not have been left battered and bloodied!

I have flown internally in the States loads of times and the flights are like buses. Everybody on, buckle up and go, no messing about. I find it bizarre that in the few minutes between all the passengers boarding and the plane leaving that UA suddenly discover they have 4 crew members in the wrong place. Surely this should have been sorted out at the gate?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
From some of the reports this was the last flight of the day and they offered $1000.00 in vouchers plus accom, they got 3 and then had a computer randomly select the 4th, this guy was a Doctor who refused to leave as he had appointments with patients the next morning, the video of him being dragged off is quite shocking.

He had a good reason for getting to his destination on time, which I assume he communicated to the flight crew. Surely they could have tried to find another passenger without such a time constraint?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was no reason at all to treat this person in this way FULL STOP

I hope he sues them for as much as he can get! I'm not a fan of people doing this, but in this case, knock 'em out fella!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bad incident and the guy should sue for both the unnecessary force used against and the emotional damage of going viral whilst squealing and crying like a little girl.

Maybe says more about me this him but I lost a little (not all 😁) Sympathy when I heard the noises he was making.

Back on point. Do people really want to see an entire airline company with thousands of staff go bankrupt, just because of this?

Really?

Seems a bit ott to me.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bad incident and the guy should sue for both the unnecessary force used against and the emotional damage of going viral whilst squealing and crying like a little girl.

Maybe says more about me this him but I lost a little (not all 😁) Sympathy when I heard the noises he was making.

Back on point. Do people really want to see an entire airline company with thousands of staff go bankrupt, just because of this?

Really?

Seems a bit ott to me.

I would quite like them to go burst as it would send out a message to the civilised world that you just cannot treat customers with that level of disrespect.

Re noise passenger made, yup, you are right says more about you.

U

User62651

See there was another United incident where a passenger had a scorpion fall on his head from the overhead lockers, ending up stinging him, thankfully not too toxic. Suing of course. These things come in 3's, wonder what's next?:eek:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For all the financial and reputational damage that has been done to UA's corporate image, they could have flown their crew to their destination in a Gold plated executive jet many times over without having to re-accommodate any passengers! 😀

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Really?

Seems a bit ott to me.

Dr Dao did suffer a significant concussion and did appear to be unconscious as he was dragged down the aisle. He also lost two front teeth, had a broken nose and some damage to his cheekbones. So any squealing was probably semi-conscious and justified. What was even worse was that salacious details about his personal life and a previous conviction was released to the press, so everybody and their dog now know about them. Don't know if this was done deliberately by UA in an attempt to blacken his name and justify their actions? If they do deservedly go bust, their planes will be leased to other operators and their pilots and cabin staff will be re-hired. Their routes will be reallocated and everybody will be happy, apart from UA shareholders and senior staff.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently the staff were required to be in another location to join another flight. If they don't make that flight then the other plane does not leave, it gets cancelled.
Then the airline should be better organised. Are we supposed to accept that an airline the size of United only have those 3 crew members to service that flight at the destination? Put simply a company should not put its staff before its customers in this way. It is arrogant of them to think their reasons for getting to the destination are more important than their paying passengers. The fact that they offered $1,000 to each passenger to voluntarily give up their seat and no-one accepted the offer gives some indication on how important those passengers felt it was for them to reach their destination on time.