uk golf resort

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
What was the issue with the course? I haven't played it for a good few years, interested to hear.
I played there a couple of weeks back and it was behind a few courses in still being wet. A couple of friends played on a golf breaks invite a week later and the dry weather dried it out really well and they enjoyed it.

Have to say I wasn’t disappointed despite the weather. Two good tracks which is rare for a two course resort. Food was fine as well.

Being a member of Ramside, it’s playing really well right now too. The old course greens are just about there after some deep verti-cutting. Two very different tracks too, which I like.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
May be considered remote depending on where you are coming from - but St. Mellion in Cornwall would get my vote.

36 holes, decent hotel with good leisure facilities

Nicklaus course is a beauty and beast in equal measures. Has it's own Amen Corner 10th, 11th & 12th

Kernow course much more relaxing and fun to play with some nice holes including a great risk reward driveable par 4 over water.
I'd agree with st mellion, great set up, plus pool and spa for guests

Nicklaus is a great course, play off the tips to experience a proper tour championship course

Pin-seeker

Visit site
What was the issue with the course? I haven't played it for a good few years, interested to hear.
Played both courses,The Hunting course is obviously the better of the 2 & has some good holes.
But fairways needed a good cut & the first cut was way too long.
Bunkers were poor on both courses.
That last hole on the Hunting course is a bit of a beast when playing into a breeze😨.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd revisit this as we played Forest Pines this weekend. As with previous visits the courses were all fantastic. The fairways are baked, obviously, but the greens are still in extremely good condition. Really enjoy the 3 loops and all bring something different.

Hotel was ok, prices at hotel prices (£6 a pint), food okish and the guys in the club shop are great. Couple of things that were odd was the clubhouse stopping serving on Sunday at 6:30 with probably 50 golfers in the clubhouse plus those still coming in, 8 from our group, and then the main bar closing at 12:30. Never known a hotel turning down so much potential money.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thought I'd revisit this as we played Forest Pines this weekend. As with previous visits the courses were all fantastic. The fairways are baked, obviously, but the greens are still in extremely good condition. Really enjoy the 3 loops and all bring something different.

Hotel was ok, prices at hotel prices (£6 a pint), food okish and the guys in the club shop are great. Couple of things that were odd was the clubhouse stopping serving on Sunday at 6:30 with probably 50 golfers in the clubhouse plus those still coming in, 8 from our group, and then the main bar closing at 12:30. Never known a hotel turning down so much potential money.
Maybe they can't get the staff.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played but not stayed. But did get a look at the accommodation as I knew someone staying there. Very smart indeed.

Wasn't aware you can just rung your and book a game there though!😉

Aah ok. One of the lads recommended it but haven't fully looked into it yet.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Out of interest has anybody stayed and played JCB, Staffordshire? Looking at booking our next trip next year.
I've stayed in their lodges twice and played the course the next day, both were on invitation only from one of the corporate members which is one of the few ways to get on I'm afraid.

The detail lacking from their website is because you can't just book a tee time as a member of the general public, it's very exclusive and AFAIK there are no individual paying membership options.