Try the interactive rules quiz

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, guys....how many of us refresh our knowledge of the rules of the game on a regular basis?

The R & A have an online interactive quiz you can take. Here's the link;-

http://www.randa.org/index.cfm?action=rules.rulessub.quiz.home&cfid=7867732&cftoken=53757408

You can answer either 10 or 15 questions on easy, moderate or difficult rules. It's quite enlightening. I'm willing to bet that none of us can answer all 15 correctly on the moderate or difficult setting off the top of our heads.

Try it and let me know how you got on. Which rules did you get wrong?

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed Mr Findlay, so we all thought we knew the rules, I wont tell you my score, but I'm going to start reading the rules. I tryed the harded question's ,,,

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
11/15 on moderate. I'm quite happy with that so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. I've got a rule book in my bag at all times anyway.
I think that if you play regularly in medals/competitions you should know the basics, but no-one should be expected to know every rule. A rule book in your bag should suffice for the occasional freakish/uncommon eventuality.

It's a good gauge though.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting stuff.

As an ex-lawyer I take it as a personal affront if I don't get at least 13/15 on the difficult rules and keep going until I do. But, as Atticus says, it's more a question of knowing the most common ones very well and knowing where in the rules book to look if you come across an unusual one on course.

It really is quite scary how ignorant some players are, though. I was playing in a monthly medal with a chap who was playing for his handicap. On one hole he putted up to an inch and picked his ball up, conceding himself the putt, because his partners in bounce games always told him that was fine. You can imagine the look (and advice) I gave him, .....particularly since I had already berated him on the third hole for slow play!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I got 7/10 on moderate, but 8/10 on advanced.

It is very important to have a general knowledge of the rules when a dispute arises, but if the correct procedure cannot be decided on the course during the competition, there is always the option of Rule 3.3, under which a competitor may play a second ball and get a committee decision after the round. I've never seen this rule invoked yet; but it is an option.

Personally, I always carry a rule book