True Story. Custom Fit Experience....

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Thought I'd share this with you.

A year or two after I started playing I thought I'd get some 'proper' clubs for myself. I ended up in an independent seller who used an indoor bay and simulator to fit clubs from. After hitting some shots the salesman - sorry 'pro' thought he'd give me a few tips on improving my swing. On one fatal shot he got me to hold at the top of the swing and he repositioned my hands and hips, then telling me to swing down. I did as instructed and brought the leading edge of the iron, axe like, into the motion sesnsing lasers and circuit boards. The whole system was wiped out. :eek: I was stunned but this was nothing compared to the look on his face. Valiantly he tried to cover up the damage muttering something about needing a new system anyway and it could be repaired easily... :eek:
In fairness he was determined to complete his sale, sorry my fitting experience, so ditching technology he brought out the perspex impact board and some marking strips for the clubs. Again I'd never seen, let alone hit a ball form an impact board, and in my innocence asked if there was the possibility of the board getting broken. On surer ground he replied that they were unbreakable and i had nothing to woory about, talk about misplaced confidence. So i took my stance, the club was taped, the ball waiting to be hit. Deep, but nervous breath, jerky backswing, rushed downswing and all hell broke loose. I swayed back on the downswing causing the club to hit the back edge of the board propelling it forward at 80+ mph across the fitting bay. It smashed into the steel strutts supporting a net and partioned walls and exploded into bits. The ball meanwhile remained in situ, reminding me of the magic table cloth trick. Out of shock, embarassment and genuine humour I collpased to the floor laughing and that was the end of my custom fitting session. The shop owner came over to survey the damage, and though no comment was made I could tell my custom was no longer needed. Hey Ho, live and learn. I still feel very uncomfortable every time i see an impact board and it genuinely took me a long time to get over the incident. :(

So for all the custon fit advocates out there, there is always a down side to everything.

Swing well (+ safe) :D

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IM actually crying with laughter. thats proper funny mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just go and play golf! have fun

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bravo Johng, that's an excellent story!

Did you get custom fitted some place else? did you get some new irons?

DCB

Visit site
That's a cracker. Knew someone who skied a shot during a lesson at a range and the ball rebounded and broke the mirror behind him in the bay.

Ouch

johng

Head Pro
Hi Squire.

Live near Bridgend and play in Southerndown. Yourself?

Cheers
John.

HTL, eventually brought some MAxfli Revolutions, off the shelf. This was abotu 8 years ago and they'd just come out, though they were way too good for my swing at the time, but looked gorgeous.
Story of my life, going for looks over ability... ;)

johng

Head Pro
played the National at the vale last year,inter clud offer for £15. long course, not sure it would be worth the full asking price. What course you play on at Celtic? played wentwood hills a few years back, now that was a really long course.