Trilby tour gone bust?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

I think that’s rearranging deck chairs on the titanic to be honest. You’re suggesting some minor changes but the major one is it’s going to be a competition rife with cheats because of the prestige attached. I agree it could be done better but it would still be very flawed.

Yeah - hence why you make it a HC Qualifer just like the Opens or Mid Ams - that would remove the handicap cheats from the comp

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think the main reason it failed was because of the main player and the level of rules he applied

His clothing , the courses he got , the tee time rules , the blowing the smoke up the “Trilbians”

Now there are lots of very good opens around the country that provide Amatuers some great comps

But if there was a comp that was

Played on decent courses
With a caddy
Bit of a crowd
Wear what you want
Be on the tee 5 mins before
Some Telly coverage
On course scoring
Announcer

Then it would be popular and people would pay to enter
Apart from the TV coverage this pretty much covers the England golf events that attract proper golfers rather than bandits. Would be nice if they ran a few more handicap events under the same conditions though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I disagree. You can’t dress up a competition of amateurs into something it’s not. The evidence is right here in front of us in all the failings of the Trilby tour. They tried it, it failed.

I like amateur sport but this idea is vanity sport. Not for me.
I 100% agree but I have found the ‘highlights’ videos on YouTube curiously fun - and curiously curious ? But I guess only as it being the only available substitute anywhere near the reality of my real thing during lockdown.

And I’ll never be a Trilbytourian...?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pr
I think the main reason it failed was because of the main player and the level of rules he applied

His clothing , the courses he got , the tee time rules , the blowing the smoke up the “Trilbians”

Now there are lots of very good opens around the country that provide Amatuers some great comps

But if there was a comp that was

Played on decent courses
With a caddy
Bit of a crowd
Wear what you want
Be on the tee 5 mins before
Some Telly coverage
On course scoring
Announcer

Then it would be popular and people would pay to enter

Precisely this

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the idea of it was spot on, it gave ordinary golfers the chance to play in a tournament and feel like a Pro, sadly it was poorly run, a rip off and had a reputation of cheats playing. Surely most entrants paid by credit card so will be able to claim back through their card company

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
How come there were suddenly a load of people with alleged dodgy handicaps?

It wasnt "a load of people" , the finalists were fairly predictable to name and their handicaps were maintained at high teens despite being known as, eg " the short game wizard" , if I remember correctly, 17 handicap and never hardly played qualifiers at their own club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it was a good idea in theory, but once you kept getting the same names winning or getting to the final every year it just show it was flawed

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
I played in it from the start and the next 5years. At the beginning the clothes were quality, trousers made to your waist and leg measurements.The bags were Callaway tour bags and courses like The Buckinghamshire g.c, Bearwood lakes, Goodwood and the London Club, for those in the south east. Unfortunately it became a victim of its own success, and a deterioration of courses(IMO) and the quality of clothing. I always found William Hunt very friendly and I do believe his intentions for the competition genuine.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played in it from the start and the next 5years. At the beginning the clothes were quality, trousers made to your waist and leg measurements.The bags were Callaway tour bags and courses like The Buckinghamshire g.c, Bearwood lakes, Goodwood and the London Club, for those in the south east. Unfortunately it became a victim of its own success, and a deterioration of courses(IMO) and the quality of clothing. I always found William Hunt very friendly and I do believe his intentions for the competition genuine.
I first became aware of it when I played with a guy in an open that had a lovely Callaway tour bag with his name embroidered onto it, quality stuff. By the time I entered I got a crappy bag with my name printed on a bit of white card, cheap and nasty. It also became very cliquey with Hunt interviewing his regular 'Trilbian' mates. Combine that with the move away from decent courses and the writing was on the wall. The Scottish voice over guy in the outtakes didn't help either, he was crass.