Trilby tour gone bust?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Over the years, I haven't heard or read a single good word about the guy in charge. On TV, I could see how that could be the case, but does anyone have a nice story about him?

I'm also amazed that they charged the clubs to host the events! In the few that I watched, if anything, it put me off playing the hosting clubs as they all looked bang average.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Over the years, I haven't heard or read a single good word about the guy in charge. On TV, I could see how that could be the case, but does anyone have a nice story about him?

I'm also amazed that they charged the clubs to host the events! In the few that I watched, if anything, it put me off playing the hosting clubs as they all looked bang average.
When I first stumbled across it late night on Sky I may well have thought similar thoughts on William Hunt, but I have to admit that the more I have watched, the more I rather got to quite like him, his little chats and his player assessments, though perhaps in a ‘I can’t believe I am thinking this’ sort of way - in fitting with my ‘I can’t believe I am watching and quite enjoying this’ way ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I entered it once, when it was played at Bearwood Lakes. I think it was more the venue that attracted me as I'd played there a few times before and always enjoyed it.
James, (JustOne), was my caddie for the day, he looked lovely in his boiler suit. He tried bless him, but he just couldn't get his player to perform....
It was quite an enjoyable day, despite the fact that some of the "rules" were a little draconian and played into Mr Hunt's egotistical hands.
You had to be on the 1st tee at least 20 minutes before your teeing off time, no exceptions. If you were even a minute late, you were disqualified. No ifs no buts. And Mr Hunt loved announcing this at any given opportunity to whoever was listening.
I think the idea was that it would just make the 1st tee look busier for the viewers.
Also, if it rained and you donned your waterproofs, (thereby covering up your supplied "William Hunt" clothing), you wouldn't appear on any television coverage, even if you'd won!!
And yes, the clothing was crap. The shirt that you had to wear was so thin you could "shoot peas through it" as my old Mum used to say whenever she came across cheap clothing.
In principle it was a good idea. But in practice it was a bandits charter, and just a vehicle for Mr Hunt's massive ego.

I'd wear a jumper just to keep my bad shoots off tv aha

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Read on another forum that an email was sent out saying it was put into administration.

Most/all of entrants for this year likely to be out of pocket for £300 each.

As others have said, the idea is good. Original implementation was good. Then just went very ropey.

Friend of mine played the one in Trevose a good few years back. A call went out over the PA to find the owner of the van in the car park, and they had to move it as it was in the background of the camera shot of the 1st tee. Off slumped my mate to move the van ?

sunshine

Visit site
Agreed. Knowing how ridiculous it was made it gently amusing telly.
As for a replacement, in terms of participating rather than watching, hundreds of well run open events happen every year, many on better courses and pretty much all at better prices.

I think the attraction for most participants was being on tv, course is irrelevant.

I had zero interest in watching it, but I can see why the concept of playing in professional tournament conditions is appealing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand the comments saying it was a good idea in principal. It always looked like a perfect way to attract and encourage handicap cheats to me. Also I don’t understand how anyone can be attracted to loud golf clothing of any sort.

Maybe loud clothes and banditry correlate. :ROFLMAO:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand the comments saying it was a good idea in principal. It always looked like a perfect way to attract and encourage handicap cheats to me. Also I don’t understand how anyone can be attracted to loud golf clothing of any sort.

The idea of amateurs playing some top courses, with caddies, to feel like a tour event is a good idea.

The clothing and banditry is the poor part, but you can get round that.

The base idea is pretty solid

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

The problem was, you didn't get to see the clothing range until much nearer the date of the actual competition, so if you'd waited you'd have dibbed out of a place on the more desirable venues. And the choice of clobber was limited, with the best, (read subdued), outfits going quickly.
The bandits could have been weasled out, but let's be honest... any competitions that offer worthwhile prizes will attract them like bees round a honeypot.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The idea of amateurs playing some top courses, with caddies, to feel like a tour event is a good idea.

I disagree. You can’t dress up a competition of amateurs into something it’s not. The evidence is right here in front of us in all the failings of the Trilby tour. They tried it, it failed.

I like amateur sport but this idea is vanity sport. Not for me.

D

Deleted member 15344

D

Deleted member 15344

I disagree. You can’t dress up a competition of amateurs into something it’s not. The evidence is right here in front of us in all the failings of the Trilby tour. They tried it, it failed.

I like amateur sport but this idea is vanity sport. Not for me.

I think the main reason it failed was because of the main player and the level of rules he applied

His clothing , the courses he got , the tee time rules , the blowing the smoke up the “Trilbians”

Now there are lots of very good opens around the country that provide Amatuers some great comps

But if there was a comp that was

Played on decent courses
With a caddy
Bit of a crowd
Wear what you want
Be on the tee 5 mins before
Some Telly coverage
On course scoring
Announcer

Then it would be popular and people would pay to enter

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just spoke to the winner of the last Trilby tour ( Richard Foster) member at our place. He has not heard owt yet but it would not suprise him if it had gone bust. Said it was expensive.
Ave played with him once at the Nottinghamshire and he is an excellent player. Plays of about hcap of 3 ( in old money). I certainly wouldn’t put him in the bandit list. Gave me some fantastic advice whilst playing re course management.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if there was a comp that was

Played on decent courses
With a caddy
Bit of a crowd
Wear what you want
Be on the tee 5 mins before
Some Telly coverage
On course scoring
Announcer

Then it would be popular and people would pay to enter

I think that’s rearranging deck chairs on the titanic to be honest. You’re suggesting some minor changes but the major one is it’s going to be a competition rife with cheats because of the prestige attached. I agree it could be done better but it would still be very flawed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just spoke to Fozzie, he won in 2019, no comp last year. The final went to a 4 man 3 hole play off. It took 90 mins ? to play