Trilby tour gone bust?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm hearing rumours that this event has folded but can't find anything online. The website is down though so maybe it's true. If so, will it be missed?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Was not something I was ever actually interested in.

I was always a bit sceptical about the accuracy of some of the handicaps on there.

Loads of bang average courses at a premium price and you looked like a muppet with that ridiculous headgear.

Not a loss to me

D

Deleted member 1418

Was not something I was ever actually interested in.

I was always a bit sceptical about the accuracy of some of the handicaps on there.

Loads of bang average courses at a premium price and you looked like a muppet with that ridiculous headgear.

Not a loss to me

Yep looked at it a couple of times but baulked at the cost for some of the venues.

And also heard the clobber was very cheap quality - even the Primarni sweatshops in Bangladesh turned down the contract....... ?

And some of the players should've been wearing a sombrero rather than a trilby!! ? ? ?

D

Deleted member 15344

The whole idea was a good one and it started of on some good courses

Then someone’s ego took over and it was flooded with trophy hunters and bandits

The minute it became televised was the minute it became a vehicle to satisfy the ego

I don’t think it’s too much of a loss tbh

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was never a fan until I started watching vids on YouTube over this lockdown and have come to quite enjoy watching. I think that’s because watching the guys - the pomposity and pretentions of a few - but also the expectations, mess ups, miseries and little flukes and successes of most reminds me of playing with my mates. I can relate to what I am seeing when I don’t when watching the professionals. Still didn't instill in me any great wish to play in it - especially as some of the courses in more recent years weren’t fabulously attractive or enticing propositions. But I rather will miss it...?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

The minute it became televised was the minute it became a vehicle to satisfy the ego

Yep, hopefully the original idea will come back again via someone else.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was going to post something very similar. The principle was good, then it lost its way.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was never a fan until I started watching vids on YouTube over this lockdown and have come to quite enjoy watching. I think that’s because watching the guys - the pomposity and pretentions of a few - but also the expectations, mess ups, miseries and little flukes and successes of most reminds me of playing with my mates. I can relate to what I am seeing when I don’t when watching the professionals. Still didn't instill in me any great wish to play in it - especially as some of the courses in more recent years weren’t fabulously attractive or enticing propositions. But I rather will miss it...?
Agreed. Knowing how ridiculous it was made it gently amusing telly.
As for a replacement, in terms of participating rather than watching, hundreds of well run open events happen every year, many on better courses and pretty much all at better prices.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
From what I saw on TV, to be honest the "personality" of the originator, and the unique daftness of the whole clothing concept, was the real driving force.

In all fairness, he came up with an idea and got hundreds of normal club golfers onto Sky Sports having fun playing golf, so I'm sure plenty of guys really enjoyed it.

I meant the idea of organising a professional style tournament that anyone could enter. Being on Sky Sports is fine, but just generally playing on good courses as it originally was, leaderboards, caddies in overalls etc I think that kind of things has a real possibility of coming back

D

Deleted Member 1156

From what I saw on TV, to be honest the "personality" of the originator, and the unique daftness of the whole clothing concept, was the real driving force.

In all fairness, he came up with an idea and got hundreds of normal club golfers onto Sky Sports having fun playing golf, so I'm sure plenty of guys really enjoyed it.
Hats off to him (?) he did a brilliant job charging clubs in the region of £30k for the privilege of hosting his events.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A mate and I played it once and thoroughly enjoyed it. The course was also decent, Preston GC, but the weather was awful for most of the day. I think the club paid more like £20k for the privilege but more than recouped that in advertising and additional green fees.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This was always my guilty pleasure. Swore at the conclusion of every THRILLING play-off that I’d never watch it again and then got sucked in. The clothes seemed to get worse with every year but it was a good way to pencil in/write off a particular course.

The way the boss man used to talk up the players like they were thoroughbred racehorses was hilarious.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I entered it once, when it was played at Bearwood Lakes. I think it was more the venue that attracted me as I'd played there a few times before and always enjoyed it.
James, (JustOne), was my caddie for the day, he looked lovely in his boiler suit. He tried bless him, but he just couldn't get his player to perform....
It was quite an enjoyable day, despite the fact that some of the "rules" were a little draconian and played into Mr Hunt's egotistical hands.
You had to be on the 1st tee at least 20 minutes before your teeing off time, no exceptions. If you were even a minute late, you were disqualified. No ifs no buts. And Mr Hunt loved announcing this at any given opportunity to whoever was listening.
I think the idea was that it would just make the 1st tee look busier for the viewers.
Also, if it rained and you donned your waterproofs, (thereby covering up your supplied "William Hunt" clothing), you wouldn't appear on any television coverage, even if you'd won!!
And yes, the clothing was crap. The shirt that you had to wear was so thin you could "shoot peas through it" as my old Mum used to say whenever she came across cheap clothing.
In principle it was a good idea. But in practice it was a bandits charter, and just a vehicle for Mr Hunt's massive ego.

Last edited: