Trigger's broom.

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

I saw reference to this on another thread and, as I enter my fortieth year of membership of my Club it set me thinking.

6 x Secretary/Managers
2 x Club Pro's
Lord knows how many Stewards/Caterers
5 x Head greenkeeper/Course Managers

On the course there are nine holes that are either new or have changed very significantly.

And yet I still see it as the same Club I joined all those years ago, just like Trigger's Broom!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds similar to where I play.

The most noticeable change in my time has been the trees.

We removed all the leylandiis and had a major tree planting programme in the late 80s (10k or so) and where you once could easily see across many parts of the course of the trees are now are 40 ft plus. The routes across some of the doglegs we used to take would be impossible now and several holes have now been effectively reduced in width by one third.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds similar to where I play.

The most noticeable change in my time has been the trees.

We removed all the leylandiis and had a major tree planting programme in the late 80s (10k or so) and where you once could easily see across many parts of the course of the trees are now are 40 ft plus. The routes across some of the doglegs we used to take would be impossible now and several holes have now been effectively reduced in width by one third.
Much better for no leylandiis. A horrible tree on golf courses. I wish we could get rid of ours.

D

Deleted member 18588

40 years at the same club, that’s impressive!
Due to job moves I had belonged to four others prior to joining.

Still playing regularly with a few of my original PP's who joined around the same time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I am out of the area now, but I remember Wragg Barn in Wiltshire when it opened. Portacabin for clubhouse, wide open, and thousands of trees planted- all under 2 feet high... last time I went past, they had really shot up, decent clubhouse there now too... I must be getting old

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been a member at Royal Ascot for around 25 years (in two stints)

Seen:
Three pros
Two stewards
Three general manager
Three head greenkeepers
Seven caterers (may be more)
Dozens of bar staff

The course hasn't changed too much bar some much needed drainage work and a fantastic programme by the current head greenkeeper since taking over six or seven years ago to make them as good as they are now.

We've had longevity with one pro (nearly 20 years) and a steward well over 30 years and I think a degree of consistency has been a good thing

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The whole region has had a lot of rain over the last month or so. Our course is wet but not as bad as it was in the summer of 2017! Then it just seemed to continuously rain and I believe from May to September we didn't have more than 5 clear days without rain. It was very wet in a number of places. Since then the club has done, and continues to do, a tremendous amount of work to improve drainage and is currently laying artificial turf pathways (heavy duty stuff from a Scottish Championship clubs practice pitch) which will ease some of the damage. I played at the weekend in pretty heavy weather and the course was actually standing up to it pretty well. Buggies are banned and members are requested not to use trollies.