Tough Rough? Forget the woods.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The staff at our gaff have been growing the rough fairly thick of late in preparation for the county champs. Shaping on the fairways looks great, but the third cut, and anywhere else offline are becoming almost impossible to find wayward balls now unless you physically tread on them. Even in the second cut it's easy to miss the ball if it's sitting down now, the rough is just horrible. I was playing Saturday evening, and was having trouble keeping the woods in play, lost 3 balls in a couple of holes that would have been easily found a month or so back. OK, the better players and straight hitters will argue that we shouldn't be offline in the first place, but in reality more than a few of us end up playing adventurous golf much of the time. Without having any spectators way ahead to spot where balls are coming down, it's becoming a real challenge to play the same ball all the way round. I know that rough is part of the game but I would prefer it if it was easier to find the ball in some parts - the trees are already my punishment for being offline. Hey ho, it is what it is. Therefore I decided a new strategy was needed in order to try and stay in play. Out for 13 holes in the sun yesterday (no time for a full 18), I decided to abandon my woods and hybrids, using nothing more than a 5 iron. Ended up with 27 points despite three double bogeys. Didn't venture outside the second cut once, the doubles were largely down to three fatted shots and the repercussions.

I know it may seem an obvious solution, but definitely the way forward for the next few months methinks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Aye - nothing like having to play the game in accordance with our ability. My place is the same - I think most courses around the country will be the same. Fits cut rough OK - 2nd cut - watch your ball very very carefully as it goes in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's deep rough under trees that grinds my gears..
It's penalty enough being in the trees..
Keeping the ball in play at this time of year is the primary directive so use what does that...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ours was the same the last few years, The rough was so thick and lush it was very un links like.

They bought some machine that cuts it and pick it all up and then and another that rips out the really think stuff to make it whispy. its a work in progress and will take a couple of years to get the results they are looking for.

i can see why your club are doing it to toughen the course for your CC, but it will have a knock on effect with everyone else, slowing play up will be the biggest.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We had stupidly long rough a few years back. Apparently it protected the scores. Come the pro am, it was all cut back, as they woukd not like it. Funny that us hackers had to put up with it.
I am not a fan of stupidly deep rough. It makes golf one dimensional.