tough luck or free drop?

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
hi all,

had a situation this week which caused confusion as to what should happen.

around our course there are several patches where they occasionally burn old cuttings etc, these are well away from the usual areas of play. however i hit a wayward drive that landed on the edges of one of these soot and charcoal patches.

these arent denoted as GUR and no local ruling but we were unsure if you should get a drop from this. also worth noting that at times these can still be hot from burning the night before.

any thoughts?
play as it lies
free drop?

ta muchly

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would guess a free drop but ask your club for a decision and they could maybe mark the area as GUR if it's used often for burning stuff.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would guess a free drop but ask your club for a decision and they could maybe mark the area as GUR if it's used often for burning stuff.

Stricly, relief fom grass cuttings is only allowed if they are to be removed by the greens staff. That was the rule I grew up with, many moons ago. However, if there is a chance that the flares might go up around your ankles, and turn into plus fours, thats a different thing!

There should be a local rule.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty sure that'll be a free drop.

However, in these sort of circumstances, it pays to play 2 balls; one with free relief; one as it lies and get a ruling after the round but before you sign your card. If you don't play it as it lies, but take a drop, then you just need to find out whether it's free or under penalty. If in a match, then you should get a ruling asap - and that's where carrying a phone can help!