Throwing club from the top

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Put 2 head covers on the ground as per the video below and hit the ball without hitting the head covers.

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I&index=33&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you can do that try this drill

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&index=11&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

Customgolf900

Medal Winner
Banned
Visit site
Thanks everyone will go to range tonight try a few drills to see which one suits me best got a bit of overswing too which won't help

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
An easy way to stop this is to use a slightly weighted club

The example i have long given is, if you have a long handled axe, you swing it into the tree correctly as you are forced to use the correct technique and sequence..

Weighted clubs are useful for this... they are also damaging if overused but as a guide for the swing sequence very useful

Enjoy this random link of a great golf swing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZAGc_IYm90 this is a really efficient move

Last edited:

Customgolf900

Medal Winner
Banned
Visit site
though a lot of this will depend on grip hold on the handle, set-up, takeback & how the club gets to the top

thing to consider (however the top of the swing is reached) if the first intention is to pull the hands/handle & trail elbow downwards although that seems to be what happens in a good swing motion in essence it isn't

as all that's immediately goin to do is have the club seek 'alignment' (physics) with the force the 'arms' - so the top & bottom of that means if the hands(trail elbow) just get pulled goin straight downwards - that 'seeking alignment' sends the clubhead straightways outwards and aways from the hands losing the angles - so contributing to getting the out over the stop situation

good thing to consider when the top is reached don't pull downwards as count-intuitively as that will sound - imagine if the top position is like arrows in a quiver, to get one 'out' you have to pull more level backwards out of the quiver not down

equate that to the golf swing the hands handle initial intention is a ways better if the first direction of travel is out directly 'backwards' aways from target
to do that the right arm will just starts to straighten up a tad - may seem a pretty off the wall set of circumstances I realize but it's absolutely the case

could go into details of exactly why this is the physics of a golf swing, linear versus angular 'work' of the club in the swing with all the different positive & negative kinds of torques being applied (alpha, beta, gamma) but that just generally tends to confuse folks .....

bearing in mind the whole downswing varies someways around just 2 tenths of a sec that initial move of the hands/handle back away from the target is real real fractions then the whole arms/club unit travel down/out & forwards - {after the initial weight pressure transfer of the lower half of the body}

think of it if at a driving range once the movement of the club started in transition so handle direction away from target a point out in the range field - so if the club was let go of it would be propelled directly away from target towards the back wall of the range - if like in an out & over swing the club was let go off then it would be propelled out over the ball/target line towards the range bay divider to the stall infront

Right! This worked amazing tonight

Felt nice and loose on backswing and from the top felt as though I was pushing club handle away from me towards back of range instead of pulling down throwing it all away. My god I had perfect ball striking straight and long really could feel it whipping through impact it really makes transition nice and smooth creating lots more lag much easier to keep angles! Thanks so much what a difference 👍👍

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right! This worked amazing tonight

Felt nice and loose on backswing and from the top felt as though I was pushing club handle away from me towards back of range instead of pulling down throwing it all away. My god I had perfect ball striking straight and long really could feel it whipping through impact it really makes transition nice and smooth creating lots more lag much easier to keep angles! Thanks so much what a difference 

you're welcome good to hear you got the drift of it all & seeing improvements