The Phantom of the Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This came up on my Facebook stream, I looked into it because they said it was a biographical comedy drama … which made me look deeper, and yes the exerts from the film looked very amusing.
I think though from what I can find he wasn’t really treated that nicely, I suppose because he made a mockery of the system ?… but definitely a story worth telling

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am just reading about it on Wikipedia and was going to post. There is so much that made me smile. Apparently he and his wife were invited to a tournament that is run under his name. He said “ this is the first time me and the wife have been out of the house together since the gas cooker exploded”.
Seve played his first open the same year as Maurice.

sunshine

Visit site
As a one off, it's quite an amusing story. After reading his wikipedia page and learning a bit more about him I have come to the conclusion he was as amusing as thrush.

I recognised the clubhouse of Littlestone in the trailer.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The father of the pro at our Club was a professional golfer Cerys Cousins. He played with Maurice Flitcroft at an Open qualifying at Pleasington many years ago. the R and A were so embarrassed they gave Cerys his qualifying money back and the pro at our Club showed me the letter