The law is an ass

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Two court cases in Lincolnshire recently

********* *******, 40, of (Mod Edit), Spalding, case proven in absence for driving while not wearing and adult seatbelt. He was fined £220, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £22 and costs of £85.

Woman on mobile phone knocked down and killed seven year old boy - fined £195

Words fail me :mad:

[h=1][/h]

Last edited by a moderator:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You're right sometimes there are no words.

Don't understand (without the details of course) how killing anyone can be anything less than manslaughter!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Two court cases in Lincolnshire recently

********* *******, 40, of ( Mod Edit), Spalding, case proven in absence for driving while not wearing and adult seatbelt. He was fined £220, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £22 and costs of £85.

Woman on mobile phone knocked down and killed seven year old boy - fined £195

Words fail me :mad:
Well I can assure you as much as I like to waffle on, words also fail me.

However if my retirement takes me in the direction I wish to pursue it is something I would like to " have influence upon" in the future....

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

However if my retirement takes me in the direction I wish to pursue it is something I would like to " have influence upon" in the future....

I have an image of you in blue tights and red jockeys over them. I need to sort my meds out...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If that's a real address, is OK to post it?

By the way, the law is an ass :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems she wasn't punished further because the phone wasn't in her hand and she was using the loudspeaker ?!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In many cases the law is about as competent as the NHS unfortunately

Disagree strongly. The NHS isn't incompetent, certainly on the shop floor where doctors and nurses are doing as good a job as they can amidst increasing paperwork, targets and decreasing money. There is incompetency in places, but you can say that of most massive organisations but in overall terms the NHS isn't incompetent. However, I fear this is a discussion for a different thread.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree strongly. The NHS isn't incompetent, certainly on the shop floor where doctors and nurses are doing as good a job as they can amidst increasing paperwork, targets and decreasing money. There is incompetency in places, but you can say that of most massive organisations but in overall terms the NHS isn't incompetent. However, I fear this is a discussion for a different thread.
Sorry homer but in my experience this week they are very incompetent. It has taken 6 days, 3 visits and 3 X-rays for them to realise that my 4 year old had a broken leg. First visit they took X-ray and said all was fine, second time they took X-ray and said he had a sprained ankle and that we should keep him active on it so that it heels properly, don't let him just rest it. Third time another X-ray and eventually realised that his leg was fractured and he should have actually been resting it for the last 6 days.

If we had listened to the experts opinion the first 2 visits then my son would still be hobbling round on a broken leg which would have been left to heal all by itself.

So apologies if you don't agree, but based on the above my opinion of the nhs at the moment is pretty low.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry homer but in my experience this week they are very incompetent. It has taken 6 days, 3 visits and 3 X-rays for them to realise that my 4 year old had a broken leg. First visit they took X-ray and said all was fine, second time they took X-ray and said he had a sprained ankle and that we should keep him active on it so that it heels properly, don't let him just rest it. Third time another X-ray and eventually realised that his leg was fractured and he should have actually been resting it for the last 6 days.

If we had listened to the experts opinion the first 2 visits then my son would still be hobbling round on a broken leg which would have been left to heal all by itself.

So apologies if you don't agree, but based on the above my opinion of the nhs at the moment is pretty low.
Dear oh dear, I thought my day in the local hospital having broken a bone in my foot (suspected and later verified) and being asked "are you sure you need an xray?", Was bad.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mobile phone use when driving should be treated along the same lines as drunk driving and carry the same sentence, in fact maybe harsher as you know your doing it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don't be ridiculous.

Nothing ridiculous about it, until proper strict sentences are imposed for using a mobile whilst behind the wheel the more people will risk their lives but more selfishly, the lives of other road users. I was behind a driver only yesterday on the M1, he was wandering crossing in and out of the outside (fast) lane at around 80mph and every now & then braking sharply as he lost concentration, guess what he was doing, texting! He could have easily caused another vehicle to swerve and crash leading to life threatening consequences, they need to have severe punishments dealt out so the deterrent is in place, currently the law is a joke where mobiles behind the wheel are concerned, IMO!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Obviously a cock-up in this case. Sorry to hear that your son suffered unnecessary pain and distress because of this. I have a 6 year old and if the same happened, I would be furious.

But that story doesn't make a huge institution incompetent though. It is staffed by humans, so human error is inevitable and at some level, unavoidable.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My grief at the mo with "law is an ass" is when it sometimes gets to the CPS. With magistrates courts and I would imagine Crown courts there are set guidelines re X crime = set sentance/ punishment. But some cases/crimes even though guilty are not pursued by the recommendation of the CPS because they are not " in the publics interests".
Eh, the only thing I am interested in is justice.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Talking on a mobile is distracting and dangerous, if you are holding it to you ear, not only have you only got one hand on the steering wheel, you concentration is not fully on the main task at hand.

That written, you're not supposed to eat while driving, people can get stopped and prosecuted for eating or drinking while driving.

So why can people smoke while driving without any legal comeback?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
But could you not argue that the driver was using the phone hands free and was not doing anything illegal. And the law states that

You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

It is a murky area as you could argue people get just as distracted changing the track on the in car entertainment system or looking at a sat nav then they would speaking on a hands free. Possibly even more as I think I take my eyes off the road more to find a track I want to listen to than I do to speak on a hands free if I ever do that.