The High Fade

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this anyone's go-to shot?

I don't mean, aim the clubface and body square to target and then after slicing, call it a fade.

I mean, aim left, clubface closed to target and open to stance and swing.

I'm finding it to be a real saviour recently as whilst I can hit a draw, it doesn't go half as high as my fade.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im with him. If you can play high fades when required playing off 20 then you must have a poo short game :D

I don't think he meant being able to switch it on and off at will, I think he meant that is what he hits 80%+ of the time. Do you not have this?

I normally find that I have a certain type of movement during a round that is fairly consistent, it just varies which way it's going per day, and how much it moves hole to hole!

D

Deleted member 1147

No, I hit a high draw as my normal/natural shot shape. Not necessarily by choice, but because of the various errors in my swing that lend themselves to a draw.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I don't mean, aim the clubface and body square to target and then after slicing, call it a fade.

I'm finding it to be a real saviour recently as whilst I can hit a draw, it doesn't go half as high as my fade.

I play it quite a lot - in fact I play a fade high and normal quite a bit. There are a couple of Par 5s with gentle dog legs where the fairway can easily kick your ball to the right and you are blocked out. I love playing a gentle, and sometimes it has to be wild, 4wood fade round the corner. But on our long par 3s - a nice soft gentle high Hybrid fade is a nice shot for me (as I draw the ball)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

This is arguably my ONLY shot, but not by design. At our level Dave I would STRONGLY (in capitals) advocate not trying to hit any kind of shot shape, but just to concentrate on striking the ball well. Playing all last year I never found myself wanting to purposefully hot a draw/fade of any kind. Play within yourself and don't try going for a Hollywood shot that a lot of folk say they can play, but invariably cannot!

Twin Lakes

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've gone from a big slice when I started to a consistent fade. It's my only shot. I do hit my hybrids and Irons relatively straight. I just play with what I've got. If I need to hit a draw i'm stuffed. Our par 4 6th really needs a draw but I just hit fade over the trees down the left and it generally comes back into play.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have to say I have a very good high fade ;)

When it gets to about 2,000ft it usually takes a right turn over the white markers :D