Temptation

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Popped into the Direct Golf store at Hemmingsford to pick up some gloves and soft spikes for my weekend in South Africa. Got chatting to the guy there and mentioned that I was looking for a second hand 3 wood as I want to pull an old x-flex driver shaft whic I have a few of and tip it then stick it in a 3 wood head to see if it's a goer. Don't worry says he and hands me a John Letters Mastermodel 3 wood with an x flex Aldila RIP 69g shaft. Have a few goes with this.

Like a flipping dream! Low trajectory with a nice draw and silly long! I know these clubs are programmed to perform at the shop 😀 but this was just lovely. However £149 can't be spared because I've spanked a grand on the weekend to SA for my school reunion. Aargh

Anyone got a nice 3 Wood head? Shaft not important.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What i hate about direct golf is when ever i go in there for clubs, balls or glove they always try and force john letters on you!!!!!! It drives me crazy

Sounds like it worked out for you though

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Popped into the Direct Golf store at Hemmingsford to pick up some gloves and soft spikes for my weekend in South Africa. Got chatting to the guy there and mentioned that I was looking for a second hand 3 wood as I want to pull an old x-flex driver shaft whic I have a few of and tip it then stick it in a 3 wood head to see if it's a goer. Don't worry says he and hands me a John Letters Mastermodel 3 wood with an x flex Aldila RIP 69g shaft. Have a few goes with this.

Like a flipping dream! Low trajectory with a nice draw and silly long! I know these clubs are programmed to perform at the shop but this was just lovely. However £149 can't be spared because I've spanked a grand on the weekend to SA for my school reunion. Aargh

^^^ Thinnly veiled "Look at me, I'm off to South Africa" post ^^^

Just teasing - I take it you're from there? I went for the first time in January and loved it (Jo'burg and safari - Cape Town and the wine regions next on my hit list...). I'm very jealous. Where are you playing golf while you're there?

As much as I try not to judge books by their covers and golf clubs by their brand name, I find it very difficult. Ultimately though, I doubt there's much in it in terms of construction between John Letters and any of the other manufacturers, particularly when you stick a decent shaft in it. The big difference in manufacturers is sponsorship, endorsement and advertising budgets. But, clearly that works when you look at what the majority of amateur golfers have in their bags!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That store is about 20 mintues up the road from me, actually off to an interview just 10 mins down the road for a job. I prefer it to the range on the north side of Cambridge.

I know also Philly has his name on the loft up board, 45 yards my (behind)!

I have a cobra S3 3 wood, cracking club that I picked up for £60 in 2012! It will take something special (custom fit day?) to get that out of my bag!

I am semi regular at that range and I have yet to had JL pushed on me, the blade irons are nice. IMO JL is a decent brand and should be worth a look if the price is right.

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

Like a flipping dream! Low trajectory with a nice draw and silly long! I know these clubs are programmed to perform at the shop 😀 but this was just lovely. However £149 can't be spared because I've spanked a grand on the weekend to SA for my school reunion. Aargh

I've got a titleist 909 3 wood head at home, all yours if you want it Cam, been laying in a box for years. Think it may have a slight sky mark on the crown.

Captainron

Visit site
^^^ Thinnly veiled "Look at me, I'm off to South Africa" post ^^^

Just teasing - I take it you're from there? I went for the first time in January and loved it (Jo'burg and safari - Cape Town and the wine regions next on my hit list...). I'm very jealous. Where are you playing golf while you're there?

As much as I try not to judge books by their covers and golf clubs by their brand name, I find it very difficult. Ultimately though, I doubt there's much in it in terms of construction between John Letters and any of the other manufacturers, particularly when you stick a decent shaft in it. The big difference in manufacturers is sponsorship, endorsement and advertising budgets. But, clearly that works when you look at what the majority of amateur golfers have in their bags!

Born and raised over there. Off to my 20 years on school reunion this weekend. Fly out on Thursday and fly back on the Sunday. We're playing a local course in Pretoria called Waterkloof. Not a sensational track but it's okay.

The John Letters name doesnt put me off at all. Their blades are sexy as. This 3 wood was good looking. Sat beautifully at address and performed tremendously. Going to try and 'frankenstein' a new 3 wood though

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

check direct golf ebay shop it may be cheaper

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Born and raised over there. Off to my 20 years on school reunion this weekend. Fly out on Thursday and fly back on the Sunday. We're playing a local course in Pretoria called Waterkloof. Not a sensational track but it's okay.

The John Letters name doesnt put me off at all. Their blades are sexy as. This 3 wood was good looking. Sat beautifully at address and performed tremendously. Going to try and 'frankenstein' a new 3 wood though

Well it was a good enough course for ABBA to write a song about.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site

South Africa for the weekend? Blimey!! :)

I'm off there on the 19th Nov for 3 weeks. Hoping to get some golf in. I can't get on the Gary Player at Sun City as the Nedbank Challenge is soon to be on, but going to play Lost City and then a couple of courses in Cape Town. Enjoy pal

Captainron

Visit site
South Africa for the weekend? Blimey!! :)

I'm off there on the 19th Nov for 3 weeks. Hoping to get some golf in. I can't get on the Gary Player at Sun City as the Nedbank Challenge is soon to be on, but going to play Lost City and then a couple of courses in Cape Town. Enjoy pal

I am sure that you will have a tremendous time over there. Weather should be fairly decent too. make sure you review for us all!