Teenagers

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's involved with every school sport going. He like THE best in his year at everything, as was with school work, but he has gradually dropped down and down to now just scraping by. When asked about GSE's he dismisses the question with "I'll get them". Sort of like, they're a doddle. :confused:

With all that comes pressure - pressure to carry on being the best at football etc and a pressure to get grades that teachers and parents expect. Big pressure for a 14 year old. Possibly like's the attention but with the attention comes the pressure and expectancy.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has he changed his peer group?, is there a girl he's trying to impress?. I can't really help, I have three daughters 22 and 17 year old twins so didn't have the testosterone of teenage boys. Maybe look at local sports clubs if he is athletically inclined, Rugby Clubs are usually good on the discipline front.

Best of British sorting it out though.

Impress girls???? Don't think so after meeting his girlfriend.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a Grandparent myself, my thoughts:

You must stand back and let his parents deal with the discipline etc, but not in a harsh way.

Be there for them with your support and encouragement always remembering, they don't parent as you used to. It's always their call.
As someone has said, and something you could be entirely involved in, get him into golf!

From what you wrote in the op I don't see the need to have any outside agencies involved, imo it could make things worse. He's an intelligent lad and will surely see the light in his own time, with all the families support.

Lastly, how about helping him get a part time job - raking the bunkers at the golf club perhaps to start with, or helping out in the pro shop, collecting balls on the driving range etc etc.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited: