Taylormade P-790

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at changing to these and wanted to know if anyone is using them and what their opinions are. I have read about them hitting some freekish shots with the shorter irons at times that just goes for miles making you hit it too far. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this themself, or is it just something that the Youtube people have found on rare occasions.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had callaway XR OS and people said I would see this ... the answer is no, not really, occasionally a 5 iron out to 200 yards but down a par 5 playing for position whats an extra 10 yards? Touch around the greens was poor, disconnected, meaning all chip and run shots were mechanical.
I really don't think you would be bothered by it enough to not purchase those irons .. If you hit the ball well now you will get consistent performance. If your swinging at a driver speed of 115mph there might be an argument that you would see it .. but if you're not then I would guess your chances of it diminish.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at changing to these and wanted to know if anyone is using them and what their opinions are. I have read about them hitting some freekish shots with the shorter irons at times that just goes for miles making you hit it too far. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this themself, or is it just something that the Youtube people have found on rare occasions.

I have these irons and they have been brilliant for me.
I must admit, I wanted some new irons and I was desperate for them to be the best performing ones from the ones I tried, as I really liked the look of them.

The new Mizuno JPX were leading the way until I tried these and they blew them out of the water so I was delighted.

I'd read about those things too and have to say that there is some truth in it. I'm using the winter to go on Trackman and get my distances sorted out as they've definitely given me some extra yards and I'm a bit unsure about what it is what now.
I notice it especially when I hit perfect shots, the rare ones that come along now and then where you know instantly from the feel and sound. The difference between those and a 7/10 good shot can be almost 20 yards literally. A few par 3's are springing to mind as I type, where I've been holding the finish waiting for it to drop near the pin... then bang.. it's completely flew the green.

I suppose though, if you're better and more consistent, you'll get a more consistent and regular distance.

Overall, I love them and get lots of comments about them, but most importantly, I love the feel of them and what they've done for my game.
Definitely get a fitting before you buy though if you can, as I remember they felt very different to others I'd tried.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
New Cobra ones getting a good right up as well and I believe along with the Ping i500 have less offset than the TM.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have these irons and they have been brilliant for me.
I must admit, I wanted some new irons and I was desperate for them to be the best performing ones from the ones I tried, as I really liked the look of them.

The new Mizuno JPX were leading the way until I tried these and they blew them out of the water so I was delighted.

I'd read about those things too and have to say that there is some truth in it. I'm using the winter to go on Trackman and get my distances sorted out as they've definitely given me some extra yards and I'm a bit unsure about what it is what now.
I notice it especially when I hit perfect shots, the rare ones that come along now and then where you know instantly from the feel and sound. The difference between those and a 7/10 good shot can be almost 20 yards literally. A few par 3's are springing to mind as I type, where I've been holding the finish waiting for it to drop near the pin... then bang.. it's completely flew the green.

I suppose though, if you're better and more consistent, you'll get a more consistent and regular distance.

Overall, I love them and get lots of comments about them, but most importantly, I love the feel of them and what they've done for my game.
Definitely get a fitting before you buy though if you can, as I remember they felt very different to others I'd tried.

I too am looking at new irons, and these are/we're on the list. However when they're flying the greens on Par 3's, that's no good !

Neeko1988

Visit site
I have had these for a year now. Been having a lot of lessons but along with getting custom fitted p790s I have come down from 18 to 8.

I love everything about them! Can’t recommend enough. See if you get previous model. Same club more or less and a decent saving over the new one

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hi, yep, I had some ap3’s and also tried the p790 - think it’s typical of the hollow headed irons to get a few to fly waaayyy long. But if you like them and they go well for you, then go for it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hi, yep, I had some ap3’s and also tried the p790 - think it’s typical of the hollow headed irons to get a few to fly waaayyy long. But if you like them and they go well for you, then go for it.

Ditto. The odd flier can be irritating but I do wonder if the odd flier actually saves a shot too, where the initial shot might have come up short.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the original P790's with stiff shafts. They are pretty long eg 155 to160' ish carry for an old man with a 7 iron, 5 iron can get me on our 198 yard 18th if it's a calm day. A poor strike loses less distance than most clubs I've had but I'm not over struck with the sound off the face. I'm not sure if the newer version offer much more than the originals give but I'd certainly recommend trying them.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I too am looking at new irons, and these are/we're on the list. However when they're flying the greens on Par 3's, that's no good !

It is definitely more down to me though and my inconsistency, and not really knowing my distances properly since I got these.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
New Cobra ones getting a good right up as well and I believe along with the Ping i500 have less offset than the TM.

My friend has the i500 but blended them with them with the i-blade because he didn't like the way ball comes off the short irons. Hit his 4i in the i500 and it was really easy to hit and went a at least a club further than my 4i and higher too.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ditto. The odd flier can be irritating but I do wonder if the odd flier actually saves a shot too, where the initial shot might have come up short.

It's the coming up short that is making me want to change. Not playing as much golf as I was and I am now finding playing these unforgiving Mizuno irons is killing me, because my swing isn't as consistent as it was. Nothing more annoying than hitting a nice short iron and then seeing it come up 2 clubs short because I caught it from the toe.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My regular PP has a set of those irons, those very gorgeous irons.
His handicap has dropped from 15 to 11, and he's 66yrs old.
His first ever shot in anger was a holed pitching wedge from 130yds on Puttenham's 2nd hole .............. for his first ever eagle!