Tag Marshall

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fair enough, but the problem is you could spend 3 minutes looking for a ball at every hole. Would be harsh to penalise people in these circumstances.

However at least if you build a bank of information up and try to genuinely encourage someone who is always in the plus 4 hour groups to speed it up.

Played round Kinghorn this morning, 2 ball off the yellows. Holed everything out and were 2 hours 50. Short course, but we didn’t rush and took our time to read putts etc.
great to know, i doubt there were 10 four balls of yanks with caddies were in front of you though:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's what happens in Spain and Portugal I think. Tracking via the buggies, marshals sent out to chivvy groups that are out of place. Not experienced it myself.

Sounds positive for you.
If only,
years ago we got landed with 2 guys, at Golf De Sur [ i think], Tenerife :confused: who lost all their balls as they reached the 7th hole, so they had to wiz back to the pro shop for more balls, in their Sat Nav buggy.
Eventually arrived back on the 9th tee, the distance to the green displayed on their buggy was showing something like 900 yards. Because they'd missed a hole out and didn't pass certain marker trigger points that change the hole settings on their buggy :eek: .
Might be different nowadays though :D, BTW both guys were English [ builders ] working there .:ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
My club are starting a trial with Tag Marshall at the moment, its an electronic tag given to each group to track pace of play and where groups are in relation to the rest of the groups on the course.

should highlight once and for all who the slowcoaches are in comps, not that most don't already know;)

any other clubs using this and has it worked??

Yes my club uses this. Only for comps and societies when the course is busy. The overall deterrent is if you know you are being monitored you are more likely to keep a good pace.

There is a tv screen in the pro shop which shows a map of the course and where all the groups are at any time. If a big gap opens up, with a queue behind, the pro can nip out on a buggy and do something about it. To my knowledge this has not happened in comps but is more aimed at visiting societies.

The round timings for each group are put up on the competition notice board. It's colour coded to show who was on time, who was delayed by a group ahead, and who has caused the delay. It's obvious when a group slows down the rest of the course. I don't know if any action is taken if you have caused a delay, my club isn't really the type to name and shame individuals, but I suspect the course manager has had a word with a few repeat offenders.

In my experience, I've not noticed much difference. But I'm neither fast or slow - maybe it's people at the extremities who will feel the difference. Some people are more focused on getting round quickly when they have a tag. However for some people it won't make the blindest bit of difference.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes my club uses this. Only for comps and societies when the course is busy. The overall deterrent is if you know you are being monitored you are more likely to keep a good pace.

There is a tv screen in the pro shop which shows a map of the course and where all the groups are at any time. If a big gap opens up, with a queue behind, the pro can nip out on a buggy and do something about it. To my knowledge this has not happened in comps but is more aimed at visiting societies.

The round timings for each group are put up on the competition notice board. It's colour coded to show who was on time, who was delayed by a group ahead, and who has caused the delay. It's obvious when a group slows down the rest of the course. I don't know if any action is taken if you have caused a delay, my club isn't really the type to name and shame individuals, but I suspect the course manager has had a word with a few repeat offenders.

In my experience, I've not noticed much difference. But I'm neither fast or slow - maybe it's people at the extremities who will feel the difference. Some people are more focused on getting round quickly when they have a tag. However for some people it won't make the blindest bit of difference.

Saw the Screen today, showed the movement around the course of all the groups.

Downside is they are working on a round taking 4 hours 15 mins, which is pretty slow as i would be unhappy with 3 and a half in a comp. But then i suppose when it visitors , Americans would be used to 5 hour rounds

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
interesting development from my tie last week when we were not let through a group of visitors with Caddy's.

Apparently the yanks flatly refused to let anyone through as they had let a couple of groups already, turns out the started and hour and a half in front of us so took 5 hours which they thought was quick... not sure what you do it that situation TBH.

Mind you if i'd known that they wouldn't have had a choice;)

D

Deleted member 3432

interesting development from my tie last week when we were not let through a group of visitors with Caddy's.

Apparently the yanks flatly refused to let anyone through as they had let a couple of groups already, turns out the started and hour and a half in front of us so took 5 hours which they thought was quick... not sure what you do it that situation TBH.

Mind you if i'd known that they wouldn't have had a choice;)

Unfortunately it sounds like Nairn is more interested in visitor green fee's than its members.

A balancing act for the club I know but visitors and members alike should be asked to maintain a reasonable pace of play. Its no good the club taking the green fees and then watching people clog up the course.

Its not helped than the average yank visitor is clueless about how to play links golf, we had one who suggested the course should be closed last summer as the ground was so hard as to make it unplayable!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately it sounds like Nairn is more interested in visitor green fee's than its members.

A balancing act for the club I know but visitors and members alike should be asked to maintain a reasonable pace of play. Its no good the club taking the green fees and then watching people clog up the course.

Its not helped than the average yank visitor is clueless about how to play links golf, we had one who suggested the course should be closed last summer as the ground was so hard as to make it unplayable!

Yet they were loving it at your place I believe.(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

True, Dornoch is much much worse, not even a chance of getting let though there at least if you come up behind a group at Nairn and you know the caddie at least there s a chance of getting through

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
"I just always play, I'm ready to go most of the time. That's what I don't understand when it's your turn to hit, your glove is not on, then you start thinking about it, that's where the problem lies. It's not that he takes that long, he just doesn't do anything until his turn. That's the frustrating part, but he's not the only one that does it out here."
This is what Brooks koepka had to say about JB Holmes.
For me it hits the nail On the head. Don't think it will be long before people have say a minute( example) to play a shot once they are at the ball.
A PP was getting frustrated on tuesday coz the par three we were putting on. There were two, two balls waiting on the tee. I told him we are keeping up with the threeball ( four of us ) in front. They are holding everyone up not us. Why can people not be ready to play shots. Is it really that hard.

Hackers76

Visit site
Pace of play at ours could easily be improved if common sense was implemented. You often see the same people leaving their trolley the wrong side of the green or (as said above) waiting until it is their go before even thinking about their shot. We also have a 4 ball that goes out relatively early each comp who are ridiculously slow. All the club needs to do is send a mail to all stating if you are slower (and happy to play that way) book your tee for one of the later slots, then have a quiet word with the offenders.

We don’t get many yanks rocking up in Shropshire but always have a few societies on the go however with three 9’s we are able to keep them apart from member comps with relative ease.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really like the idea, helps marshals keep the pace of play up by spotting where to go, rather than wasting time driving all over the course trying to work out who is slow.

Way more efficient to have a map of where all the groups out on the course are at any one time!

In the end it matters less how long a round takes if you don’t feel held up at any point. A good marshal can help that, arm them with this system and they become a real weapon against slow play!

course_marshall

Visit site
Have any of you gents heard of On-Pin? They do the same thing but with a passive tag technology (not so intrusive). I saw them at the PGA show this year, they were setup at a large booth! Something to investigate for sure!