Swing speed...guess!

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I realise this is a long shot! But not having the opportunity to get a custom fit yet, i'm looking at a few drivers.

Can anyone advise what sort of range my swing speed is in? I know it's difficult.

I drive about 270
7 iron about 160

Hit the ball cleanly most of the time

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give to narrow it down for me

Cheers

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the surface I'd say it would justify at least a stiff shaft, maybe an extra stiff.

I have a driver swing speed of 104mph according to Trackman and drive the ball no more than 250 there's hard fairways and a prevailing wind. It's probably more around 240 most of time, unless I really catch one well.

I have no idea what it is with a mid-iron but I used S-Flex shafts and R-Flex are too bendy whenever I've tried to hit them. Must really go get Mizuno DNA'd at some point.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I realise this is a long shot! But not having the opportunity to get a custom fit yet, i'm looking at a few drivers.

Can anyone advise what sort of range my swing speed is in? I know it's difficult.

I drive about 270
7 iron about 160

Hit the ball cleanly most of the time

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give to narrow it down for me

Cheers

I'll have a stab... :D

Driver of 270 indicates ~115-120mph.
7 iron of 160 indicates ~80-85mph.

In the normal world, your driver distance indicates that your 7i distance is too low. Or the driver distance is too far... :p

granters

Q-School Graduate
Ha! good point!

Put it this way, on a 299 yard par 4 last week, i hit a 3 wood 30 yards short off the tee. I realise i'm in danger of becoming the next Timgolfy by posting this...(i then hit a putter 250 with a slight draw)

Maybe you could add 10 yards to the 7 iron. I
know the driver distance is more accurate

cheers for the replies

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha! good point!

Put it this way, on a 299 yard par 4 last week, i hit a 3 wood 30 yards short off the tee. I realise i'm in danger of becoming the next Timgolfy by posting this...(i then hit a putter 250 with a slight draw)

Maybe you could add 10 yards to the 7 iron. I
know the driver distance is more accurate

cheers for the replies
:D :D

OK, assuming driver distance is accurate (the driver and loft may suggest that it could be), then your driver club speed is at the upper end, near or at pro level. Agree that the 7i should be around 170-175...interesting that you're not sure what your 7i distance is as you said "maybe add on 10y". 10y is essentially one club gap. :D

What iron shaft do you use?

granters

Q-School Graduate
Iron shafts up to 7 iron are Wilson regular fatshafts. I'm sure they fly further though. I'm in the process of re-kitting. To be honest i wouldn't say i was near pro swing speed, but i can imagine i'm near the upper level.

Best way to put it is- i'm usually club for club with single figure players (used to be one myself-5). I'd also say i don't think i hit it miles either, but wouldn't consider myself short.

Confusing enough?

The shafts i'm looking at are Voodoo stiff and Diamana blue X

A

Alex1975

I am

Irons 83.5MPH
Driver 105-107MPH

My 7 Iron is about 145 Carry yards, roll out will depend on the landing, my irons have pretty conservative lofts.

My Driver is about 270 total yards on a clean hit on a calm day and flat fairway.

So i would have to say your driver speed is 105-107MPH

What do I win if I am correct? :D

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am

Irons 93.5MPH
Driver 105-107MPH

My 7 Iron is about 145 Carry yards, roll out will depend on the landing, my irons have pretty conservative lofts.

My Driver is about 270 total yards on a clean hit on a calm day and flat fairway.

Hmmm, something is not right here! Iron speed of 93.5 (assume for a 6i or 7i?) puts you up near pro speed. Their distances are around 170-175y for 7i and 180-185y for 6i. And you say 145y? :D

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Iron shafts up to 7 iron are Wilson regular fatshafts. I'm sure they fly further though. I'm in the process of re-kitting. To be honest i wouldn't say i was near pro swing speed, but i can imagine i'm near the upper level.

Best way to put it is- i'm usually club for club with single figure players (used to be one myself-5). I'd also say i don't think i hit it miles either, but wouldn't consider myself short.

Confusing enough?

Yup, a bit confused with your irons!!! ;)

Is your driver 270y carry or roll out (say, 255 plus 15 y roll in standard conditions)? If carry, then my first guestimate is ok; if roll-out, then 110-115mph.

A

Alex1975

I am

Irons 93.5MPH
Driver 105-107MPH

Hmmm, something is not right here! Iron speed of 93.5 (assume for a 6i or 7i?) puts you up near pro speed. Their distances are around 170-175y for 7i and 180-185y for 6i. And you say 145y? :D

Yeppers, your spot on :eek: that would be 83.5MPH... ill go edit that :eek:

The driver is correct and done not long ago.

granters

Q-School Graduate

Confusing enough?

Yup, a bit confused with your irons!!! ;)

Is your driver 270y carry or roll out (say, 255 plus 15 y roll in standard conditions)? If carry, then my first guestimate is ok; if roll-out, then 110-115mph.

Sorry , that's it rolling out. It's totally mind boggling all this. Used to be regular or stiff shaft and that was that. My irons are a mismatch between the fatshafts and blades just now until i get sorted.

really appreciate the advice

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
probably regular shaft or i am using the wrong one, i hit my driver around the 270-300 yard mark with roll. Drive the 18th at ours that is 303 yards, hit my 9 iron around the 150-160yards, 7 iron to me is about 170-180 yards. This is all when i hit it correctly, lol

My driver swing speed at the Belfy when i got my driver was about 90mph.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
probably regular shaft or i am using the wrong one, i hit my driver around the 270-300 yard mark with roll. Drive the 18th at ours that is 303 yards, hit my 9 iron around the 150-160yards, 7 iron to me is about 170-180 yards. This is all when i hit it correctly, lol

Driver speed of 90 and your distance is 270+? I reckon that's a smash factor of over 2...! Errrr, no. Something aint right there sir.

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site

Driver speed of 90 and your distance is 270+? I reckon that's a smash factor of over 2...! Errrr, no. Something aint right there sir.

I must swing quicker than i use to when i got fitted. It was about 8 months ago now and about 50 rounds ago.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Driver 105-107MPH
My Driver is about 270 total

I go along with this.

I was laughed out of town the other day for querying some blokes 265 carry, despite the fact that a) there's no way he could possibly know, unless he's got secret leprechauns on the fairway at 265 ready to pounce and b) I was reading the information off a chart! :eek:

105 is probably a little under, 108 probably a little over. Then again, what do I know; clearly voodoo intuition and home-made "maths" beats the findings of a genuine club-fitter. :eek:

granters

Q-School Graduate
Agreed RG- there's no way i CARRY the ball 270 either, although i don't consider myself short. Think i've decided on the Voodoo stiff shaft for the driver, based on the fact my swing is between 100-110mph.

Much head scratching has gone on today let me tell you. i liked the old days better!